DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove Bootsector virus?

coolestjar is offline New Member

Post How to remove Bootsector virus?

Hello people one of my system got crashed of virus last day, it was not showing me other drives when it was performing well and then it got shutdown one day, when I tried to reformat, it didn’t worked, when I tried to make partition again it said I have virus in boot sectors, I harder tried to remove it but I failed so, well my data are lost and I don’t know the solutions, can you please suggest me how to remove that Bootsector virus? Yep let me tell you i had a Win Xp Professional on it.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Did you try deleting your partition and then formatting?

seti is offline Member

try running avast anit virus which will tell you if you have one or not and remove it for you. If that fails then kill the disk off using killdisk is the only other thing I can suggest.

leofelix is offline Member

welcome coolestjar,
    It's not so difficult to clean an infected boot sector. please go there

GMER - Rootkit Detector and Remover

download

http://www2.gmer.net/mbr/mbr.exe (70 kb) to C:\

now reboot into safe mode if possible

now start>run type "C.\mbr.exe -f" (without brackets) now press enter

just reboot normally
    Last edited by leofelix; 12th June 2009 at 22:32.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

@ coolestjar
    Follow the steps given by leofelix. It may help you to get rid of this problem.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Try the above or download Trojan remover s/w and Nod32 4.0.

leofelix is offline Member

I would thank Ramesh Kumar MVP first,
    Trojan Remover could be a good second chance software.

Other good specialized tools are:

Avira AntiVir Bootsektor Repair Tool

http://dl1.pro.antivir.de/down/windows/bootwizard.exe

Avira Antirootkit tool

http://dl1.pro.antivir.de/down/windo...ir_rootkit.zip

Norman SinowalMBR rootkit remover

Norman | Special program to clean SinowalMBR rootkit from infected computers

Twistupp is offline New Member

Hi! I'm certain I have a boot sector virus also like coolestjar. I followed Leofelix's links and put mbr on my laptop C drive and followed instructions. The dos window gave me this: device: opened successfully user: MBR read successfully kernel: MBR read successfully user & kernel MBR OK error: READ The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I am running XP Pro and feel I have boot sector virus obtained via a usb flash drive from another computer I have, my desktop. I reinstalled windows xp pro on the other computer and as it rebooted it gave a dos screen with a notepad with this message: setup notepad on error resume next Dim product key Dim_xp_Prod-Key xp_prod_key="blah-blah" xp_Prod_key=Replace(xp_prod_key, "-","") for each odj in Getobject("winmgmts: {impersonatationLevel=impersonate}". Instances of ("win32_windowsProcuctActivation") next This is on my desktop. I will attempt to fix it some time in the future. I consider this a boot sector virus. I later read how the flash drive can sometimes transfer a virus.

I was using a usb flash drive between the 2 computers and now my laptop is not working properly. I would rather fix it first before the cd drive shuts down. I cannot access windows update. So that brings me up to date. roraniel suggested deleting the partition and reformatting. That didn't work. However, I didn't try a killdisk program. I don't mind doing that since I don't have any files or programs on either machine. But I don't mind tampering with the BIOS either, if that is a possible solution. I rad that somewhere. It will be a learning experience for me. twistupp

Twistupp is offline New Member

Default twistupp

And now I'm too late. My cd drive is in fact not recognized. I downloaded Avira Antivir from leofelix's link but could not burn it to a cd as the program suggested. Wondering if a usb floppy drive woulb be of any use?

allisha is offline New Member

Bootsector virus is a severe rogue, buddy. It will disable your system from performing various tasks. You must remove th virus immediately. Some of my friends have suggested applications like Trojan Remover, avast antivirus etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast