Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AV-test calls MS Security Essential "Very Good"

leofelix is offline Member

Thumbs up AV-test calls MS Security Essential "Very Good"

AV-Test GmbH tested Microsoft Security Essentials, the free software Microsoft launched yesterday in beta, on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, putting it up against nearly 3,200 common viruses, bot Trojans and worms, said Andreas Marx, one of the firm’s two managers. The malware was culled from the most recent WildList, a list of threats actually actively attacking computers. “All files were properly detected and treated by the product,” said Marx in an e-mail. “That’s good, as several other [antivirus] scanners are still not able to detect and kill all of these critters yet.”

Source:

AV-Test calls Microsoft Security Essentials "very good" | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

seti is offline Member

A good start let us hope it continues

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    A good start let us hope it continues
    I hope so
    Instead AVG C.E.O doesn't agree:

"AV-Test's results will disappoint some rivals in the security market, who yesterday knocked Microsoft's effort. "It just doesn't give you the protection that you need," argued J.R. Smith, the CEO of AVG Technologies, a company best-known for its free antivirus software. "People aren't worried about antivirus anymore. Most of it is just noise. [Security Essentials] will help, especially in emerging markets. But it's centered around viruses, which the bad guys aren't really pushing anymore.""

source:

Antivirus testing outfit: Microsoft Security Essentials makes the grade
    Last edited by leofelix; 26th June 2009 at 06:21.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes MSE does seem to have got on to a good start. Its great news for the Windows user!

LtBladeKAW is offline Beginner

So far so good, I have high hopes that MSE will be a hot contender. It’s unfortunate that other competitors are doing their best to discredit it.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Microsoft is doing only the right things these days. Great year for MS..

iMav is offline Gold Member

I'd really want @Corrine to weigh in her opinion on MSE.

manekari is offline Senior Member

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    I'd really want @Corrine to weigh in her opinion on MSE.
    The people I help in the forums generally seem to be looking for "free" or cheap. If MSE continues on the same path as it has started, I will place it on the top of my list of recommended free antivirus software for consumers.

Taking that thought a step further, based on the Sofpedia report on WLOC, MSE would go to the top of the list over the licensed A/V products as well: Windows Live OneCare Bests Kaspersky, Symantec, McAfee, Nod32, BitDefender - But not Avira - Softpedia. (Note that the Avira product analyzed was the licensed version.) MSE has the same definitions as WLOC and Microsoft Forefront Client Security Antivirus. (Current Definitions are listed at Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Top Detections.)

Although for the advanced user I would also like additional options (i.e., always ask before removal), the available options are right for the average consumer.

The GUI isn't "pretty", but what does pretty matter when you have an effective product?

I very much appreciate that a new System Restore point is created before an update is installed. That way, if a f/p should occur, it is easy to recover from it. Another good feature of MSE, located under "Settings > Advanced", is the pre-checked option to "Create a system restore point before applying actions to detected items." Again, a good recovery option.

Should you use a USB flash drive on public computers, I strongly recommend checking the box to "Scan removable drives" under "Settings > Advanced". That option is not pre-checked.

Since I prefer to review updates prior to installation, I would rather that MSE be auto-updating without having Windows Update set to automatic. Updates are released approximate 8 hours apart, three times per day.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    The people I help in the forums generally seem to be looking for "free" or cheap. If MSE continues on the same path as it has started, I will place it on the top of my list of recommended free antivirus software for consumers.

Taking that thought a step further, based on the Sofpedia report on WLOC, MSE would go to the top of the list over the licensed A/V products as well: Windows Live OneCare Bests Kaspersky, Symantec, McAfee, Nod32, BitDefender - But not Avira - Softpedia. (Note that the Avira product analyzed was the licensed version.) MSE has the same definitions as WLOC and Microsoft Forefront Client Security Antivirus. (Current Definitions are listed at Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Top Detections.)

Although for the advanced user I would also like additional options (i.e., always ask before removal), the available options are right for the average consumer.

The GUI isn't "pretty", but what does pretty matter when you have an effective product?

I very much appreciate that a new System Restore point is created before an update is installed. That way, if a f/p should occur, it is easy to recover from it. Another good feature of MSE, located under "Settings > Advanced", is the pre-checked option to "Create a system restore point before applying actions to detected items." Again, a good recovery option.

Should you use a USB flash drive on public computers, I strongly recommend checking the box to "Scan removable drives" under "Settings > Advanced". That option is not pre-checked.

Since I prefer to review updates prior to installation, I would rather that MSE be auto-updating without having Windows Update set to automatic. Updates are released approximate 8 hours apart, three times per day.
    Thank you for the info. much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast