DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Serious bug in Microsoft Security Essentials !?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Serious bug in Microsoft Security Essentials !?

hi !

i was doing some big filecopy (17.7 GB) today, with teracopy running as an extension under Total-Commander.

for some strange reason it was very slow so it took a very long time, that gave me plenty of time too see a mysterious / dangerous bug in Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

i was using my admin account as i was doing some harddisk-maintenance, and MSEs real-time protection was turned OFF !

of course i immediately tried to turn it on, but nothing happened until a few minutes later.

it then only took a few minutes until it was OFF again, i tried several times to turn it on permanently, but at the end i gave up.

it turned itself OFF, ON, OFF etc. every minute or so, until the copying ended, then everything was normal again, it stayed ON.

i later did some other copying (6GB), this time using only the normal copy-function with Total-Commander, and the same thing started again, as i was running a background-copy.

a few minutes later when i started another background-copying, this time with a smaller total size, MSEs realtime protection stayed ON.

so im starting to believe that it may have something to do with some form of "Overflow" while copying BIG files / directories.

so keep an eye on the MSE-icon...

could someone else please test this ?

it must be a VERY serious bug if a program really can turn MSEs realtime-protection OFF !?
    Last edited by hackerman1; 27th June 2009 at 18:15.

digitx is offline New Member

This is why it is still in Beta. Please report these errors to MS. I had few problems myself on my test machine and I did report them.

Good luck

hi !

yes of course im going to report it to MS, i just wanted to warn other people,
    and also perhaps get someone to test and confirm, before i report.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Another thing, I would like is to have its definitions updating to be dis-associated with Windows Updates. I leave my WU settings at 'Inform, but ask before updating', where as I would have preferred to have a seperate 'Just Update automatically' setting for MSE.

With Defender disabled, its in-built utility to see/control program startups/BHO/etc is also unavailable.

hi !

Andy: PLEASE can we have this thread for the "BUG" only ?

i suggest we keep the general discussion about MSE in the other thread...

could someone else please test, try copy some BIG files/directories to see if the same happens to you ?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Sure we can.

Kenn is offline New Member

Hackerman1; I have had MSE for several weeks now and had similar problem. When ever I was downloading something I realized my speed was slowing down. Later on I noticed that MSE was apparently scanning everything I do so I went into the settings section and found that real time is on and MSE scans everything not just the internet. I felt like an idiot by not knowing this as I'm a proponent of reading everything before you use, but I was so anxious to get it I neglected to do so.

hi !

"and had similar problem..."

?

problem ?

MSE real time protection ?

what has that to do with the bug i described above ?

davehc is offline Beginner

I am normally logged in always as the "Global" Administrator. I have not had the experience you have encountered. I am involved in quite a lot of heavy downloading, using 32Bit or 64Bit.