Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anti-Malware Toolkit

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Smile Anti-Malware Toolkit

Anti-Malware Toolkit is basically a program that contains a collection of some rather useful applications, available for download; applicationes which will help a user clean their computer and keep it in excellent running condition.

The program has identified some good must-have anti-malware and system utilities wich will help you clean your PC of malware. It allows you to select, download and install the ones you want.

The Anti-Malware Toolkit, is a 76 KB download, and works on 32-bit versions of Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc.

Check it out @ Lunarsoft.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

This "toolkit" was posted and removed from several ASAP sites and subsequently discussed at a private security forum. Because the discussions took place among security experts in private, I cannot share what others said. However, I will say that for many reasons I do not recommend a one-size-fits-all tool such as this.

BTW, all of the pre-checked software programs shown in the image will be downloaded, regardless of whether they are already installed on the computer or not -- or what other security software is already installed on the computer.

seti is offline Member

With due respect I think I will take advice from ASAP and Corrine on this one and give it a miss, thanks all the same Andy.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

thanks for the info Corrine !

Oh really? I had no idea. Just came across this today and thought of posting it here.

Any reason why such 'one-size-fits-all tools' are not recommended ?

Corrine is offline Gold Member

That is just the point, Anand. One size does not fit all. Unless the person using the tool knows what they are doing, all of the pre-checked programs are downloaded without regard to software already installed on the computer. (I re-tested this a.m. and that has not changed.) Seeing how many people end up with toolbars along with software installs, I would expect that most home consumers would go along with the pre-checked options.

How many security applications are needed? What conflicts will occur when other security programs are already installed on the computer? I took a closer look at the posted image. When I ran the program this morning, it had each of the above applications pre-checked (SpywareBlaster through HijackThis) as well as Firefox.

I already have SpywareBlaster installed (although I use it for research purposes only as it is not recommended for Windows Vista and above. See SpwareBlaster and Windows Vista). I have the licensed version of MBAM, HijackThis and Firefox. Why would I download those programs again?

Because I did not care to go through the full install of all (or any) of the programs offered with this tool, I do not know if it has changed. However, in previous testing, the EULA of the downloaded software was not provided.

Having seen what people do, even though HijackThis is useless with much of the malware today, I would not want to see it in the hands of a novice.

Do you trust someone who provides this type of advice?

You may want to switch from Windows Live OneCare to avast. I'd highly recommend uninstalling any/all toolbars too.
    jouster Computer 2 - Log 01 - Lunarsoft Forums

Note that he is not analyzing the HJT log but posting the results of an automated tool.
    evilfantasy likes this.

OK, thanks for your inputs Corrine and for the spywareblaster link too.

seti is offline Member

@Corrine, yes thanks for your imputs here, particulalry the one on spywareblaster which was completly new to me.

212eta is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    This "toolkit" was posted and removed from several ASAP sites and subsequently discussed at a private security forum. Because the discussions took place among security experts in private, I cannot share what others said. However, I will say that for many reasons I do not recommend a one-size-fits-all tool such as this.

BTW, all of the pre-checked software programs shown in the image will be downloaded, regardless of whether they are already installed on the computer or not -- or what other security software is already installed on the computer.
    More Info please...???

Tarun is offline Beginner

Forgive me for necroing this thread, but there are many things in there that need to be addressed.

First, thank you so much for posting this about my Anti-Malware Toolkit, HappyAndyK.

Now I must say I am very disappointed in Corrine's attitude toward all of this, along with the overall attitude of ASAP towards my program. With that said, please allow me to clarify all of this.

subsequently discussed at a private security forum. Because the discussions took place among security experts in private, I cannot share what others said.
    This is what truly disappoints me. They held a private discussion and never once contacted me about this or sent any form of invitation to participate in the discussion. To me, that's very poor conduct of an "Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals". After all, we're all in the fight against malware together. Why exclude those who are positively contributing, even if you don't necessarily agree with their chosen methods?

However, I will say that for many reasons I do not recommend a one-size-fits-all tool such as this.

When we made the Anti-Malware Toolkit we put a lot of thought into what we should and should not do. We were also very careful about the points you mention. First I would like to mention that everything in the Anti-Malware Toolkit is an optional download. The user simply unchecks a program if they do not want to download it. Regardless of if the software is already installed, there is always a chance that the user may not have their security software up to date.

Seeing how many people end up with toolbars along with software installs, I would expect that most home consumers would go along with the pre-checked options.
    That's another thing, we actively check for any software that has a toolbar and will remove it from the Anti-Malware Toolkit unless it is an extremely high quality software. However, in AMT2 I plan to have a warning if a toolbar is included with any application.

How many security applications are needed? What conflicts will occur when other security programs are already installed on the computer? I took a closer look at the posted image. When I ran the program this morning, it had each of the above applications pre-checked (SpywareBlaster through HijackThis) as well as Firefox.
    None of the pre-checked applications in the Anti-Malware Toolkit conflict with other security programs. Surely you could tell that by looking over the list yourself.

I already have SpywareBlaster installed (although I use it for research purposes only as it is not recommended for Windows Vista and above. See SpwareBlaster and Windows Vista). I have the licensed version of MBAM, HijackThis and Firefox. Why would I download those programs again?
    As I mentioned earlier, there is a very good chance that most users do not keep their software up-to-date. An added plus is that even if they do install what they download, it will simply update the software they have installed. As an example, if you have a paid version of Malwarebytes it will not become the free version.

As for SpywareBlaster, their website says their software works with Windows Vista and 7. Surely it would not say such a thing if it did not or was unnecessary. I believe the best thing to do would be ask the developer though reading over the topics posted, it seems no one did that. I believe I'm seeing a pattern here.

Having seen what people do, even though HijackThis is useless with much of the malware today, I would not want to see it in the hands of a novice.
    That's interesting. A "useless" tool is still widely used to this very day on many websites.

Do you trust someone who provides this type of advice?

jouster Computer 2 - Log 01 - Lunarsoft Forums

Note that he is not analyzing the HJT log but posting the results of an automated tool.
    I'm sorry, but have you used my HijackThis Analyzer before? Of course you haven't. The reason? It was a private software only given to a trusted friend who developed it with me and it was never distributed to the public. However, I am the only one who ever used it on logs. Every single aspect of it is user controlled.

So let me clear the air here with screenshots of it in action.

Interface with HJT Log loaded: http://i.imgur.com/xDgLu.png

Same log, simply scrolled down to show more of how it has everything as optional: http://i.imgur.com/CAVZT.png

Showing how the log is looked over and the checkboxes are changed accordingly in the HijackThis Analyzer: http://i.imgur.com/qyEzy.png

*Remember, "Default-color items are optional, red are known to be malicious." A solid box means it's set to be optional (as there is often a lot of unnecessary things in HJT Logs that can safely be removed), a checkmark means it's flagged as malicious, and an empty checkbox means ignore this line and do not parse.

Once I'm done looking over the log and I click the Activate Conversion button, BBCode is parsed to make it easier to post. This allows me to quickly copy and paste a log that is cleanly formatted to make readability easier for not just myself, but for the user seeking assistance as well So here's the BBCode output that gets parsed: http://i.imgur.com/xQWvn.png

Or you can have it in HTML: http://i.imgur.com/8C9bC.png

Quote Originally Posted by 212eta View Post
    More Info please...???
    I'll be more than happy to address any questions, comments or concerns at Lunarsoft. We have an Anti-Malware Toolkit forum for just such questions, too!

The Anti-Malware Toolkit has been featured on LifeHacker, TechNibble, DownloadSquad (three times) and many others. The feedback has been very positive and many people have expressed how thankful they are that such a program exists to help. Both techs and users ranging from beginners to experts have said this program is a great help in the fight against malware. Best of all, it will be getting better as we continue to work on Anti-Malware Toolkit 2!
    Last edited by Tarun; 2nd March 2011 at 22:12.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast