Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top vendors flunk Vista anti-virus tests

leofelix is offline Member

Default Top vendors flunk Vista anti-virus tests

Security vendors including CA and Symantec failed to secure Windows systems without fault in recent independent tests.
    Twelve of the 35 anti-virus products put through their paces by independent security certification body Virus Bulletin failed to make the grade for one reason or another and therefore failed to achieve the VB100 certification standard.
    <script type="text/javascript">RegAd('mpu1', 'reg.security.4159/antivirus', 'pos=top;sz=336x280', VCs);</script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/reg.security.4159/antivirus;tile=2;dcove=d;cta=0;ctb=0;ctc=redesign; sc=1;cid=;test=;dw=1280;dh=800;pid=93509;pf=0;kw=v ista%20security;kw=anti-virus%20testing;cp=0;vc=sec.antivirus;pos=top;sz=3 36x280;ord=759391876?"></script>
    <noscript> </noscript>
    The main faults were either a failure to detect a threat known to be in circulation (one particularly tricky polymorphic file infector caused the most grief in this area) or creating a false alarm about a file known to be benign.

Virus Bulletin's VB100 tests benchmarks the performance of a vendor submitted anti-virus product against a set of malware from the WildList, a list of viruses known to be circulating. To gain VB100 certification, a security product must correctly detect all of these malware strains without blowing the whistle when scanning a batch of clean files. Vendors only get one run at passing the tests, which are conducted free of charge to security software manufacturers.
    Most, but not all, of the main vendors submits products for testing. Trend Micro - which has expressed reservations about Virus Bulletin's testing methodology - is a notable dissident

by John Leyden

The results of the August 2009 VB100 review can be seen here (free registration required).

more:

Top vendors flunk Vista anti-virus tests ? The Register

note by leofelix: PC Tools antivirus and PC Tools Spyware Doctor missed thousands of malware in the wild.

Kaspersky 2010, Avira and Microsoft Forefront (same engine of Microsoft Security Essential) passed

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

thanks for the info.

btw, it would be interesting to see the results for MBAM & A2-squared...

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    hi !

thanks for the info.

I agree with with you there it would be very interesting to see how these compare. Does anyone know if they have been tested?

I had found a malware researchers' blog where they explaned that both MalwareBytes' AntiMalware and a-squared antimalware passed their test by detecting and removing 12 samples of trojan downloader, but at present that blog is closed due to maintainance I suppose.
    I'll make you know

Doug_72 is offline Senior Member

Yes also read that Kasperky also passed VB 100%. Good for me

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I wonder whether Corrine can put this information into perspective for us "laymen".

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Glad to see Microsoft Security Essential passed
    Lite and freeware. My frist choice.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    hi !

thanks for the info.

This was an Anti-virus test. MBAM and A-2 are anti-malware software programs. However, if you spend any time in the security forums, you'll see that it is MBAM that is used most frequently in removing malware.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I wonder whether Corrine can put this information into perspective for us "laymen".
    Rather than the pass/fail, I found the graph at http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RA...-Feb-Aug09.jpg more interesting. (Although, the one thing I didn't like is that false/positives were omitted from the average calculations.) The graph was described as follows:
    The test measures products' detection rates across four distinct sets of malware samples. The first three test sets comprise malware first seen in each of the three weeks prior to product submission. These measure how quickly product developers and labs react to the steady flood of new malware emerging every day across the world. A fourth test set consists of malware samples first seen in the week after product submission. This test set is used to gauge products' ability to detect new and unknown samples proactively, using heuristic and generic techniques.
    "The first three test sets comprise malware first seen in each of the three weeks prior to product submission." -- this is based on detection/recognition by products' heuristics scanning engine.

So what is heuristics? This seems to be a good "layperson" definition:

Heuristic detection is generic detection designed to detect new or previously unseen malware. Heuristic scanning methods vary widely and may range from simply scanning the file more intensively to emulating the file's activities in a virtual sandbox.

Because heuristic detection can be rather generic, it may be prone to false positives. To minimize the risks of false positives, some vendors may employ whitelisting.

While heuristics can be useful for detection and prevention of new malware, heuristics are not generally adept at disinfection. {Bold added with further comment below.}
    (Note: Heuristic detection is not limited to anti-virus software. Many anti-malware software programs also include heuristic scanning, as does my favorite monitoring software, WinPatrol.)

"Because heuristic detection can be rather generic, it may be prone to false positives." Here is a recent example of a f/p causing havoc: Users upset after CA anti-virus detects Windows system file as virus.

"heuristics are not generally adept at disinfection": Note that the same antivirus software that scored high in heuristics, also scored good at proactive detection -- meaning they had already updated definitions to known malware.

That said, as important as preventing infection, your anti-virus software needs to be good at removal too. Also keep in mind that your A/V software is only one part of the security arsenal on your computer. A good firewall, Microsoft security updates, as well as the other software on your computer; i.e., Adobe Reader, Flash, SunJava, alternative browsers (Firefox, Safari), etc.

Remember also that P2P programs form a direct conduit on to your computer. They have always been a target of malware writers. P2P security measures are easily circumvented and if your P2P program is not configured correctly, you may be sharing more files than you realize. There have been cases where people's passwords, address books and other personal, private, and financial details have been exposed to the file sharing network by a badly configured program.

Summary: If you use one of the antivirus software programs at the "top end" of the scale, keep the software updated and practice safe surfing, you should do just fine.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

Corrine: "This was an Anti-virus test. MBAM and A-2 are anti-malware software programs"

yes, i know.

but, i thought that virus was ONE form of Malware, and i assumed that MBAM & A2 would be able to detect those...

could you please explain what you mean ?

@ hackerman1: try to think that both a-squared antimalware and MalwareBytes' Antimalware act like antispyware softwares.
    They work almost like SUPERAntiSpyware, even if since ver 4.0 a-squared comes with Ikarus antivirus it won't check POP3 and SMTP for instance.

In the nut: MBAM and A-Squared are not antivirus, but they can remove rootkit, rogue and adware better than the most of antivirus like Kaspersky, NOD32 and so on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast