DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: Cross check your Antivirus

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Default How To: Cross check your Antivirus

I just came across this tutorial on one of my friend Vicky's blog. He just wrote a tut on how to see whether your antivirus is working properly or not.

Here's how:

1. Open Notepad
    2. Now copy the below code in the notepad :

Code:
    X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
    Save the file as "virus.exe" with cotes
    Now here goes the actual stuff, if your Anti Virus just delete this file immediately as soon as it is created than that means your AV is working properly.

But all of you will are not as Lucky as that, so better scan this file with your AV if it still not delete it than its time to update you AV.

Now the GEEK stuff

The file (in our case virus.exe) that we have created is known as The EICAR test file (official name: EICAR Standard Anti-Virus Test File) is a file, developed by the European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research, to test the response of computer antivirus (AV) programs.

The idea behind this is to allow people, companies, and AV programmers to test their software without having to use a real computer virus that could cause actual damage should the AV not respond correctly. - WikiPedia
    Oh so that is for AntiVirus, so is there any such Geeky-Tricky stuff for AntiSpammers too?

Oh you are too curious and a real GEEKY guy if you are still reading till here, so for you, the answer is YES, like the above file you can also check you anti spammer by writing the following piece of code in notepad and saving it as Spam.exe

Code:
    XJS*C4JDBQADN1.NSBN3*2IDNEN*GTUBE-STANDARD-ANTI-UBE-TEST-EMAIL*C.34X
    If your Anti-Spammer immediately detects and delete it than it is working correctly and if not than you know what you have to do!

Now you must be curious to know what's this file called, OK it is The GTUBE (Generic Test for Unsolicited Bulk Email) is a 68-byte test string used to test anti-spam solutions, notably those based on SpamAssassin.

In SpamAssassin, it carries an antispam score of 1000 by default, which would be sufficient to trigger any installation. - WikiPedia

Image Credits:mobilecastle.biz | How To: Cross check your Antivirus | Tips n Tricks |
    Last edited by riteshtechie; 19th August 2009 at 07:06.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Apart from the Eicar file, there is also this Trojan Simulator file.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

thanks riteshk !

i already knew about the EICAR testfile, but the spamtest was new to me.

andy:
    Mischel Internet Security, is it safe to download from them ?

hey andy thanks for the trojan link

Mischel is safe. Their Trojan Hunters is supposed to be one of the finest...

Speaking of Trojan detectors, wonder if anyone remembers TDS-3 !!1

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

u can also try creating the boot loader virus by adding some code and make it as a batch file and then test ur antivirus..

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider™ View Post
    u can also try creating the boot loader virus by adding some code and make it as a batch file and then test ur antivirus..
    may be you like to share that code with us

seti is offline Member

thanks for this post it is a bit too technical for me, but I am sure that others will find it useful.

ha14 is offline Windows Enthusiast

Hi

there is also pcsecuritytest 2009
    PC SECURITY TEST 2009 - Test de scurit anti virus / anti spyware / anti hacking

A free program for Windows that checks computer security against viruses, spyware and hackers
    PC Security Test is a free program for Windows that checks computer security against viruses, spyware and hackers.

With a few mouse clicks, users can easily control the efficiency of their protection software (anti-virus programs, spyware scanners and firewalls).

PC SECURITY TEST is a program that simulate an virus , spyware and hack attack in order to verify your computers protection and the ability to react in face of such a threat.

PC Security Test simulates virus, spyware and hacking attacks and monitors the responses of your protection software.

Don't worry, no real viruses are involved ! After the tests are complete, PC Securtiy computes a security index and provides tips on improving PC security

Oh yes, I remember this program now. Had used this when using XP.

Will check it out now again, on Win7.

Edit:
    - Windows Defender gave a warning 'low threat'. Lets see...
    - Showed my NOD32 having failed.
    - The program in the end urges you to check out VirusKeeper

Maybe Corrine will know about this one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast