DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best firewall for Windows 7 - 64-bit and 32-bit

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcEmarc View Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials has just put the nail in the coffin of all paid AV. RIP Kaspersky. RIP Norton. Save your $$ and treat the wife, MSE Rocks
    MSE doesn't include Firewall, but its a choice that can save your $$ You just need to validate your Windows.

zen67 is offline Senior Member

comodo for me is very good and free...

krishnan is offline Windows Enthusiast

am using default windows firewall.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramesh Kumar MVP View Post
    MSE doesn't include Firewall, but its a choice that can save your $$ You just need to validate your Windows.
    But, Windows does have a firewall, so, MSE and Windows firewall = Deal of the decade.

winterlord is offline Beginner

so all in all iv read alot of different things. i dont know how to write custome rules. or anything like that but im pretty computer smart and really love my security. heck i even went over the top with my firewall cisco RVS4000

so since i'll be buying a new set of security tools hopefully soon was wondering would kis be worth it? or am i better off running mbam prevx and a-a-squderen for on access or
    prevx mbam and mse and kaspersky.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

winterlord,

A router (Cisco RVS4000) is not the same as a firewall. It is still advised that you use a software firewall. With Windows Vista or Windows 7, combining the Windows Firewall with the router would be advisable. On the other hand, if you opt for a security suite, you could use the software firewall included with that vendor's product.

Please note, MSE is an antivirus software so do NOT run both MSE and Kaspersky.

oki well i looked into the windows firewall in windows 7. not sure if i missed anything but here is my take on security. wich i could be off. but just paranoid.

i know alot in this thread recommend windows 7 firewall. however i am really computer paraniod. always have been and not sure i trust win7 wall would rather feel safer with somthing with like hipps or somthin. i am on a x64bit OS win7.

i tried outpost but i play online MMO's and outpost i found out to be garbage for the MMO's. i wrote a few rules with port and ip adress on where i connect to play the game champions online. and outpost just always bsod my system when i launched the game. so i ended u8p disabling most of the program to get it to not bsod my system. wich rendered outpost useless. so thats not an option for me.

but i would feel alot better with a hipps firewall compatible with win7 x64 bit. doing alot of searches on it ect. i found comodo works on win7 but not 100% sure i want to use it. i am tryin it on the fiances pc (she has x32bit) but one thing i noticed with it (and i could be wrong) is it takes a real tech Guro to have it properly secured wich is fine with me for the most part but writing rules is not somthin she can manage (and writing rules is a headache for me at the best of times )

so im still trying to find the Best firewall (i have a great hardware corprate firewall) Cysco rvs4000 (thank god for christmas but need a good software one. that is somewhat advanced. but not overly excessive on pop up warning messages.

so im still looking for one to try will take note of the kaspersky. i think it is more well known for anti-virus but i hav'nt keep up latly. also does anyone know of a good recent review from a trusted source on the latest software firewalls?

i can do a search on google but i dont find much cause alot of times i don't know or never heard of the source. i know cnet pcworld and pcmag

thanks
    winter

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Yes, winter, I think you are a bit computer paranoid. Seldom do we see infected 64BIT OS's on the security forums. Generally that is only because the person intentionally allowed something to install, only to discover that it was a rogue. Practice safe surfing: all security updates installed, have an up-to-date antivirus software, real-time protection, up-to-date software (i.e., Adobe, SunJava, browser, etc.) and keep UAC activated.

If you elect to continue with Comodo, please realize that you do not need the accompanying, pre-checked HopSurf toolbar.

I would add WinPatrol to your arsenal. Should something infiltrate your system WinPatrol will alert you to malware attacks, hijackings and critical changes made to a computer without permission. (WinPatrol PLUS, a one-time license fee, includes Real-time Infiltration Detection, R.I.D., technology which runs in the background. I've used WinPatrol on Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows Vista and now Windows 7. It just works!

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

winterlord: "but one thing i noticed with it (and i could be wrong) is it takes a real tech Guro to have it properly secured"

i´m running Comodo on W7-32, it´s firewall doesn´t require much rule writing, run it in "Training mode" for a couple of days, then it will "configure itself".

however, Comodo´s "Defence+" might need some work before it knows if a program should be allowed to run or not.

but you can run "Defence+" too in "Training mode", after that you only have to answer yes/accept or no/block when a new program wants to run something.

Comodo´s firewall works very well on W7, NO leaks !

W7´s firewall leaks, so it requires you to set rules...

i´ve done some tests on firewalls: W7, Online Armour, Comodo & Outpost, and i have posted the results here on the forum.

"also does anyone know of a good recent review from a trusted source on the latest software firewalls?"

yes, take a look here:
    Results and comments - www.matousec.com

i just discovered a new firewall at 2nd place on the test, PC Tools,
    PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download

"Designed for Windows 7 (32/64bit), Vista (32/64bit) and XP (32bit)"

have not tested it before, doing it tomorrow...
    Last edited by hackerman1; 27th September 2009 at 21:23.

well i actualy decided to go with A-sqaured for anti-malware , found a great offer and would like to share with the rest.

If you click to buy a-squared from a-squared Anti-Malware and Mamutu behavior blocker - Malware scanner, remover and protection against new infections of Viruses, Spyware, Trojan Horses, Bots, Backdoors. and apply a 'special' coupon code, you can get a year-long subscription to a-squared for a few dollars. Valid until 30 September. The offer is for GIZMO readers.

i think that is pretty alswome so gonna have to scoop that up for sure

also i am wondering. if i have a-sqaurd, will that eliminate the need for a antivirus program?

i noticed on there website, it says it protects against viruses great but not real good realtime on malware on a x64bit os. any thoughts on this would be great. and as for the firewall i decided to give outpost another shot, since i loved it and read today that they fixed the major issue with it BSOD ing any full screen application, game or movie. so after some testing it is working good at the moment.

one l;ast question to and maybe i should start a thread on this in fact. but i read somewhere that its begging to be common practice to get bios viruses. and even firmware viruses. one hing at a time, but iv believed for ahwile i may in fact have a bios virus but i need to research it mjore to see the likly hood. but when i bot my machine the asus start-up splash screen always comes uyp either real slow or almost none at all caus eit flickers fast fast. or real real slow. and wonder how i could check this if at all possable.

and about firmware viruses. i read in the news somewhere. i think it was apple but dont qout me on that, that they got hacked and alot of there not sure if it was ipod, or what it was, but all the firmware for there product was infected

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast