Thread: question: my firewall has a option for mac spoofing

winterlord is offline Beginner

Default question: my firewall has a option for mac spoofing

yes i was wondering. my hardware firewall is a pretty advanced firewall made by cisco. there is an option that says "spoof mac adress" i am wondering if this is benifisal to have turned on in terms of security. what exactly is it for? and does a home user benifit from that feater or does it slow me down.

thanks
    winter

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Here is the best explanation (and easiest to understand) that I can find:
    Change or spoof a MAC address in Windows

So why would you want to change your MAC address? Well there are many reasons for this, mostly related to bypassing some kind of MAC Address filter set on a router or firewall. Changing the MAC Address can help to get you past some type of network restriction by emulating an unrestricted MAC Address or to get access by spoofing a MAC address that is already authorized.
    In short, it is not typically something a home user would need to use. I hope this answers your question.

ok, hmm well would this feature make me more secure or less. say a virus got in my system or it was taken control of my pc remotly, would the mac spoofing work against me or for me.

my firewall is a cysco rvs4000 pro-security firewall, andi noticed this option it said to call my isp before enabling, so i did and they did'nt say much other then thats normaly a feature used on big corporations. but is it a security feature at all? i don't know a whole lot about networking except maybe some basic things, like how to forward a port. but i want to be using all the security features.

i know some of the stuff may have more to do with corprate networking, but theres alot of security in there to. i just hav to idintify whats what

i read the article and thank you for that, also i have searched all over google but all i have found is reasons people use mac spoofing, but i have not yet found anything, saying if Mac spoofing makes you safer or more at risk. spoofing my mac adress via a option in the firewall, sure i can be used to gain access to other things like used in a corprate environment but i have no use for that. but i do have use for security. this is a very imporetant question for me because on one hand if mac spoofing can hide my pc from hackers ect great, but on the other hand snce most viruses hackers ect piggy back on a known port like port 80, well i dont want the spoofing of the mac adress open me up, or for it to somehow be used against me by any security threat not sure if this can be done or not but i would love to know.

does it make me safer or less safe? that is my only use and/or question