Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is Microsoft Security Essentials all you need for a home system?

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default Is Microsoft Security Essentials all you need for a home system?

The thread on the release of MSE has sparked some debate so lets fully explore the subject here.

I am currently running the following security setup in additional to a regular disk imaging schedule for backups:
    1. MSE
    2. Malwarebytes (Paid Version)
    3. Secunia PSI
    4. Win Patrol
    5. Windows Firewall
    6. UAC Enabled

I was running the following before switching to MS.
    1. All of the above but I had KIS 2010 instead of MSE
    2. I noticed that MSE turned off Windows Defender but I was running that as well.

Question is: Am I as Safe?

Referenced Thread: http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...-released.html
    Last edited by roraniel; 3rd October 2009 at 15:36.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

^ Well I think you're security is overflowed
    I only use MSE, Windows Firewall and UAC enabled. I think I am fully secured

Its good to wait for the corrine's comments and suggestions on this

leofelix is offline Member

even if you use very good security software answer is no, there no exists a 100% secure personal computer.
    Moreover. I wouldn't feel secure with Windows Firewall.
    However I think that if you pay attention to false positive detections, you install only trusted software, keep up to date your system and use difficult password you won't face something unpleasant
    Last edited by leofelix; 3rd October 2009 at 16:40.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nitinagarwal1988 View Post
    MSE, Windows Firewall and UAC enabled
    Yes should suffice for most !

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by roraniel View Post
    The thread on the release of MSE has sparked some debate so lets fully explore the subject here.

I am currently running the following security setup in additional to a regular disk imaging schedule for backups:
    1. MSE
    2. Malwarebytes (Paid Version)
    3. Secunia PSI
    4. Win Patrol
    5. Windows Firewall
    6. UAC Enabled

I was running the following before switching to MS.
    1. All of the above but I had KIS 2010 instead of MSE
    2. I noticed that MSE turned off Windows Defender but I was running that as well.

Question is: Am I as Safe?
    There are no guarantees in life. I have a friend who works for MSFT, specifically in the security area (any details are confidential). However, you can rest assured that this person is extremely careful and has carefully secured the home network. The friend was searching something on servers. The link ended up on a site that was apparently the object of an SQL injection. When realizing something was attempting to download, the internet connection was immediately broken and scans conducted.

In this example, it was caught in time but the example illustrates that it can happen to anyone.

With regard to Windows Defender, understand that MSE incorporates anti-spyware detection and has real-time monitoring. The definitions are identical to what is included in Defender. That is why Defender is inactivated on Vista and Windows 7 and, I believe, removed on XP.

Each system at home has the following:

UAC
    WinPatrol Plus
    Windows Firewall

On one Vista setup I have Avast as the A/V and Windows Defender. The machine isn't used too frequently.

On another Vista machine, I have ESET V4 (but using the Vista Firewall, see below*) and MBAM (licensed)

Dual booting Vista & Windows 7 on a third, the Vista partition has ESET and Windows 7 has MSE.

Do I feel safe? Absolutely. Then again, I look before I click, don't use P2P programs and stay up to date.

*Beta testing ESET, I had problems with the firewall not finding the network connection between Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Now that there is a new Beta firewall available, I will have to give it a try (when I have a chance).
    http://www.eset.com/joomla/index.php...k=view&id=6580

rage007 is offline New Member

So P2P programs + Micro Security Essentials = No good??

Whats up w that? OOOOOOO weeeeeee.

japp is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    There are no guarantees in life. I have a friend who works for MSFT, specifically in the security area (any details are confidential). However, you can rest assured that this person is extremely careful and has carefully secured the home network. The friend was searching something on servers. The link ended up on a site that was apparently the object of an SQL injection. When realizing something was attempting to download, the internet connection was immediately broken and scans conducted.

In this example, it was caught in time but the example illustrates that it can happen to anyone.

With regard to Windows Defender, understand that MSE incorporates anti-spyware detection and has real-time monitoring. The definitions are identical to what is included in Defender. That is why Defender is inactivated on Vista and Windows 7 and, I believe, removed on XP.

Each system at home has the following:

UAC
    WinPatrol Plus
    Windows Firewall

On one Vista setup I have Avast as the A/V and Windows Defender. The machine isn't used too frequently.

On another Vista machine, I have ESET V4 (but using the Vista Firewall, see below*) and MBAM (licensed)

Dual booting Vista & Windows 7 on a third, the Vista partition has ESET and Windows 7 has MSE.

Do I feel safe? Absolutely. Then again, I look before I click, don't use P2P programs and stay up to date.

*Beta testing ESET, I had problems with the firewall not finding the network connection between Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Now that there is a new Beta firewall available, I will have to give it a try (when I have a chance).
    ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection

I see many people recommend WinPatrol which I find confusing to use/understand.
    When googling for WInPatrol the first hit is:
    Win Patrol Report

Both SpyZooka and Malwarebytes are ranked higher there than WinPatrol.
    I would like to hear your opinion if possible.
    Last edited by Corrine; 6th April 2011 at 19:05. Reason: Dangerous Link Munged

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Man, this thread was one of my first original posts.

The short answer is, Winpatrol monitors your critical system settings and alerts you (ask for permission) to make any changes to them, such as if a program is trying to turn off UAC. Malicious programs commonly try to make changes to these settings.

The most common one I see is an addition about a new start-up program when I install a new application. I need to install and uninstall client apps very often so I get that one a lot.

BillP Studios - WinPatrol
    Last edited by roraniel; 6th April 2011 at 15:17.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I edited the link to the review site you linked to, japp, as it is reputed to provide fake "reviews" directing to known rogue software. See softwareindustryreport.com | WOT Reputation Scorecard | WOT (Web of Trust)

As roraniel indicated, Win Patrol is a system monitor. The developer, Bill Pytlovany, is a Microsoft MVP and highly respected in the industry. (You can learn a bit about his background here: About BillP Studios )

The features listed below are among the reasons I use WinPatrol, described more fully at the WinPatrol Features page:
    • Delay Startup Programs
    • Warn if AutoUpdate Status Changes
    • Track Date/Time Programs are First Detected
    • Prevents Changes to File Type Associations
    • Keylogger Detection
    • Kill Multiple Tasks in One Step
    • Twenty Thousand Program Descriptions
    • Disable Vulnerable Active X Controls
    • Create Hijack Style Log Files

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

@Corrine, it says "has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space." when I wanted to send you a pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast