Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study : Windows 7 is still susceptible to 80% virus

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Study : Windows 7 is still susceptible to 80% virus

80 percent of viruses love Windows 7

According to one leading security research lab, Windows 7 is vulnerable to an astonishing 8 out of 10 viruses it was exposed to during testing. But wait a minute, just how astonishing is this, really?

Sophos loaded a retail release copy of Windows 7 onto a clean PC, configured it to the system default as far as the User Account Control process was concerned, and failed to install any anti-virus software. OK, so this might be a little unfair you would think, but it does represent the actions of many a person new to the new OS. Microsoft insists it is the most secure version of Windows yet, and ‘ordinary users’ will take the company at its word.

What Sophos did next was less typical, instead of connecting the machine to the Internet and clicking every link under the sun until it was infected up the wazoo, it instead “grabbed the next 10 unique samples that arrived in the SophosLabs feed to see how well the newer, more secure version of Windows and UAC held up” says researcher Chet Wisniewski.

Unsurprisingly, Windows 7 didn’t do too well in fighting off these new threats. Indeed, it only managed to prevent 2 out of those 10 from operating correctly. Wisniewski insists that this just goes to show that his pre-launch warning that the UAC is not fit to protect a PC from malware was indeed correct.
    IT PRO: Blogs: Davey Winder: 80 percent of viruses love Windows 7

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

The most important weapon against infections is common sense and as long as we use it, we are less susceptible to threats whatever the OS may be.

And the first action of using common sense is to use a good antivirus program

leofelix is offline Member

I think nobody expected an invulnerable version of Windows, so I agree with nithinr6: common sense and a good antivirus

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Why didn't they just ship it with MSE? Then the claim that it is the most secure Windows ever would be obvious.

MSE may not be perfect but it seems to be doing pretty well in third part test. So why not ship it with Windows. It would be simple to uninstall and install another program of your choice and it would make it the most secure windows ever released.

If only I ran MS!!!!
    Last edited by roraniel; 4th November 2009 at 17:16.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quite strange ... I literally deal with infect USB devices and use Windows 7 (VHD) without AV but I didn't notice yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by roraniel View Post
    Why didn't they just ship it with MSE? Then the claim that it is the most secure Windows ever would be obvious.

MSE may not be perfect but it seems to be doing pretty well in third part test. So why not ship it with Windows. It would be simple to uninstall and install another program of your choice and it would make it the most secure windows ever released.

If only I ran MS!!!!
    MS would like to do it, but can't... Lots of policy and Anti-Trust rules...

seti is offline Member

Perhaps some solutions will be found in the service pack which is on its way in Janurary 2010 according to press reports. I don't think anyone expected 7 to be less liable to viruses did they? A good AV will always be needed.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If only I ran MS!!!!
    Answer to your question is easy. Shipping Win7 with MSE would be considered bundeling and they would quickly be in court - at least in the EU.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

@ Ramesh & WHS.

I know the answer.

I just think it is idiotic that everyone trashed Windows for not being secure, yet MS is prevented from making it secure with a solution like MSE because they are persecuted and prosecuted for being successful.

Doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by roraniel; 5th November 2009 at 15:18.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

@ Ramesh & WHS.

I know the answer.

I just think it is idiotic that everyone trashed Windows for not bung secure, yet MS is prevented from making it secure with a solution like MSE because they are persecuted and prosecuted for being successful.

Doesn't make sense.
    Agree, but that's the way the world is. Once there is a market established with competing companies like Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky and all the others, MS cannot come in and steamroll them. After all, MS has a monopoly in that area and has to tread very carefully not to hurt the other companies. I suppose you remember the Internet Explorer battle they had with Opera in the EU.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

"According to one leading security research lab,"

Sophos SELLS antivirus-software...

of course it gets infected WITHOUT ANTIVIRUS-PROGRAM !

what do you expect ?
    that has nothing to do with W7, it would probably be the same "testresult" with any other windows O/S, XP, Vista etc.

those results are only BS...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast