Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virus Alert - temp files problem?

leofelix is offline Member

How to boot Vista in safe mode

• Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
    • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
    • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    • When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

ant667 is offline Beginner

Yes I cant ...

Root kit wouldnt effect my other OS correct?..And how would I go about getting rid of it..Reinstalling?..uhg..see I let my nephew use my computer for a few days and this is what I get I supose..

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

I can run on my linux distro until you respond thanks of the help so far!

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

Well atleast your right on the money with the rootkit problem..

Linux is vulnerable to rootkit too, but this kind of rootkit cannot infect Linux anyway.

Unfortunately I think you must reinstall your Windows Vista using your restore DVD.

When reinstalled please be sure there are not MBR rootkit and do use windowsupdate: your system was not up to date.
    It is very important to keep up to date Windows (and every O.S) if you do not want to get infected.

Once reinstalled download Norman Sinowal Cleaner

Norman | Special program to clean SinowalMBR rootkit from infected computers

It will remove every left over of MBR rootkit.

Then please install a good antivirus like FREE Microsoft Security Essential

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Es...s/default.aspx

And a personal firewall (for example: OnLine Armor free, PC Tools Firewall Plus free, Agnitum Outpost 2009 free)

And do not forget Windowsupdate:-)

I do not know if it is your nephew's fault.
    This kind of rootkit installs itself into a non updated system or via P2P software.

Cheers
    Last edited by leofelix; 6th November 2009 at 04:19.

avast was free and I don't like essential..Microsoft updates never worked..So its final then huh? I am going to have to wipe what's there and go over it with the cd..What happens if the cd doesnt wipe it?..My other computer I have I reinstalled and it left the old information still on the computer into its own folder..Also does not having the full version but having a cracked version have something to do with this probably?..

It is likely your system was already compromised if you couldn't make Windowsupdate. however you should have automatic updates turned on which should work in a non genuine system too.

Your restore CD should work, do not worry:-)

You do not like MSE but using Avast you got infected.
    And you cannot use MSE into a cracked Windows System.
    So if you do not like MSE do use Avira AntiVir which is free too.

Please consider buying a genuine Windows O.S or do use only Linux.

Hope it helps

I cant aford buying an OS I payed for an OS in 4 of my other computers..So I did it the easy way with this one...This is my gaming computer I cant only use linux..Didnt really help because obviously any anti virus I use isnt going to help when I have a vista activator...basically fake vista..And I had auto updates they never worked it would update then it would say there are more updates but they would be the same updates..

Oh well thanks for your help...Ill reinstall tomorrow when I have the time I supose..

After using the install disk and wiping my hardrive you sugest i use norman to make sure rootkit is gone?..Also I might consider Avira AntiVir..[COLOR="Silver"]
    Last edited by ant667; 6th November 2009 at 03:12.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

I have not gone through the entire thread but the C:\ProgramData\AIM Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html toolbar is classified as nasty by hijackthis.de. Could that be the problem? Try uninstalling it ... maybe in safe mode. And run Disk Clean or CCleaner to clear up junk/temp files.

I'm sorry ant667, but you have to choose: or Linux for free only or a genuine paid windows (to play games)
    However you can install WINE on Linux and play games for windows

Wine (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In relation to Vista Activator, please take a look here

Windows Vista crack is actually a trojan

http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRGDDE...RADOX.EXE.html

Safety Rating: Known malware, do not run
    Last edited by leofelix; 6th November 2009 at 03:42.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    I have not gone through the entire thread but the C:\ProgramData\AIM Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html toolbar is classified as nasty by hijackthis.de. Could that be the problem? Try uninstalling it ... maybe in safe mode. And run Disk Clean or CCleaner to clear up junk/temp files.
    Unfortunately our new member catched a rootkit and can no longer log in to windows.
    He/She is using Linux now
    Last edited by leofelix; 6th November 2009 at 04:00.

Quote Originally Posted by leofelix View Post
    Unfortunately our new member catched a rootkit and can no longer log in to windows.
    He/She is using Linux now
    Correct well im using my linux dua boot ... Also the crack I have is not a virus or malware I know the source for it..I can even give it to you to scan its 100% proofed and it works great.. its a VistaSP1 loader ... and I know about wine but you cannot run the programs and games that I play with this..Thanks for trying Ill just go back and do what I did preivously when fixing this hunk of crap computer >_>...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast