Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My tips to prevent malware infections

Max_Payne is offline Senior Member

Default My tips to prevent malware infections

Malware is a combinations of two words "Malicious software" and is defined as any software that could damage potentially a computer system.

Nowadays malware exposition is huge than in past, above all for an unprepared Windows user.

Therefore it is necessary to take some precaution to help prevent the end user not to run into a jam.

I recommend to follow these basic tips:

1) Install a reputable free anti-virus in real-time with anti-spyware functionalities (i.e. Avira Antivir Personal or Avast Home Edition). Make sure to schedule automatic updates every day, and to run periodical scans (I suggest once every two week).

2) Install a dedicated free antispyware to scan periodically your system (i.e. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free Version and/or SuperAntispyware Free Edition). This is a precaution because an antivirus can't detect all malware.

3) Install a free personal firewall with preset rules (i.e. Outpost Firewall Free, Comodo Firewall or others).

4) Using of a virtual environment to run/install unknown programs (i.e. SandBoxie, Returnil Virtual System Personal Edition or GesWall Freeware).

5) Use properly your browser, surfing and downloading only in trusted sites to avoid spyware contents from unknown sites. Read carefully this page: Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

6) Pay attention to your incoming e-mails, in particular to the object of messages. Some of them can contain virus of any type or various contents pointing to malicious sites. Don't click on links provided by false institutes that invite you to change password or similar. If you are problems to delete these fake messages manually, I recommend a free antispam filter such as Spamihilator.

7) Be careful of sharing files with others, especially because certain files sended from an infected computer may expose you to unespected attacks.

8) Before to install a program, read with care the user license part of the programs you are installing, because most of them could hide unwanted toolbars and unknown search settings. I suggest strongly to uncheck these options, read here a complete list: Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on)

9) Clean regularly unused files from your system. Some safety greatful software to do this job are CCleaner and Glary Utilities. I suggest to download slim or portable versions of both products, to prevent toolbar installation.

10) Keep up-to-date your Windows OS components with latest security updates. Remember to apply this rule for your programs when it's available a new version. I find useful this automatic detection tool: Sumo
    Last edited by Max_Payne; 28th November 2009 at 08:11.

leofelix is offline Member

prevention is better thank cure.
    Thank you
    Easy and essential tips
    Even if I wouldn't suggest to use any Comodo software indeed
    Last edited by leofelix; 27th November 2009 at 18:04.

seti is offline Member

As Leofelix says prevention is better than cure and this is a good post. The only thing that I would say is an alternative to CCleaner, which you have to careful to un-tick the Yahoo tool bar install with is Glary Utilities which comes with a spyware remover included in the cleaning.

Thank your for your comments, I appreciate it.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice tips.

Hosts file provide a nice additional layer of defense. So does adding websites to the resticted zone.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Hi, Max_Payne.

I like that you included the link to the CoU "Installers Hall of Shame"

You may want to add Microsoft Security Essentials to your list of free-for-personal-use A/V software.

ATF Cleaner by Microsoft MVP Atribune is a good tool for cleaning temp files and, unlike CCleaner, has no add-ons. ATF-Cleaner.exe - www.atribune.org (Vista & Win7, right-click, run as Admin).

I would also suggest adding my favorite Windows monitor, WinPatrol. BillP Studios - WinPatrol 2010

@Added Glary Utilities with special recommendation to download only slim/portable builds.

Hi Corrine!

I'd like to add WinPatrol 2010, but only with an intensive article explaining free features.

BTW, I could make something about.
    Last edited by Max_Payne; 28th November 2009 at 08:16.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

As you can see, almost all of the features of WinPatrol are free for personal use: WinPatrol Free vs PLUS

The features are described here: WinPatrol Features

JonPaulOnLine is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Yes
    I have been using them all on my 3 computers , on and off with:

Win Patrol Plus
    avast AV Free
    MSE-Microsoft Security Essentials- former WLOC engine

MalwareBytes Pro
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    Online Armor Free FW
    Outpost Free FW
    Ccleaner
    ATF Cleaner
    WOT -Web Of Trust - very helpful

And I won ESET Security earlier this year and installed it on my Grand Niece's computer at my home- It's very good but not free

Fanfreddy is offline New Member

Just the right information for me, Thanks ; )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast