DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Join the Microsoft Security Essentials Ongoing Beta

leofelix is offline Member

Arrow Join the Microsoft Security Essentials Ongoing Beta

Microsoft is still accepting beta testers for its "ongoing beta" of Security Essentials.

Security Essentials build 1.0.1611.0 was released to the public at the end of September and Microsoft promised future updates. The beta test program offers a test build named 1.0.1676.0 for download which updates to 1.0.1743.0.

Security Essentials is designed to work on Windows XP, Vista and 7 and protects end users against virus threats and spy ware. MSE is Microsoft's free anti-virus and anti-spyware product that replaced Microsoft's paid Windows Live OneCare subscription service which was withdrawn earlier this year. Neowin exclusively revealed Security Essentials in June when it was codenamed "Morro".

If you'd like to test the ongoing beta then follow the sign-up link below. If you sign-up you should be auto accepted. Thanks to Rafael Rivera for the news tip.
    Source: Apply for Microsoft's Security Essentials ongoing beta

GHaks reports:

Previous installations of Microsoft Security Essentials need to be uninstalled before the beta version can be installed. Microsoft has not released information about the changes in the available beta version.

The only differences are the higher program version and the definition files although those are likely shared between the public version and the beta version. The downloaded beta of Microsoft Security Essentials will display as version 1.0.1676.0 at the beginning. The strange thing is that the Update check in the program will not raise the version to 1.0.1743.0. To get to version 1.0.1743.0 users need to click on Help > Upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials instead.
    Source: Join the Microsoft Security Essentials Ongoing Beta

Join Microsoft Security Essentials ongoing beta

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Thank you Leo, I wondered how to get into the beta and now that I'm moving away from Comodo this will be very helpful.

JonPaulOnLine is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanks

I will offer to test

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Thanks Leofelix ! Im already IN. On going beta build is much stable than v1.0 RTW (final)

@ Ramesh Kumar MVP: you're welcome
    So I'm going to install MSE ongoing beta in my new personal computer running Windows 7

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I use MSE on my Win7 and one Vista system. Seems to work real well. On Win7 it caught a Trojan half an hour after I installed it. I was downloading a program from a reputable site and the trojan must have been trailing that download. Then the same thing happened a couple of days later when I downloaded Gimp2 from the Broderbund website. So it has already earned it's money. But this was not a Beta - just the normal MSE they offer at MS.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Microsoft have got it spot on with MSE, it's a quality program, the fact that it is free is just an added bonus. The "paid" AV vendors have been left scratching their heads wondering what to do next.

Thank you all,
    at present I use MSE + MalwareBytes' Antimalware (full)+ Winpatrol 2010 free on my new laptop runnig Windows 7 (64 bit) and I feel safe.

Of course I also use WOT and adblock plus for Firefox and Windows 7 firewall turned on (while I choose a personal firewall which works with Win 7 64 bit), my router has a hardware firewall built in, and my system is up to date
    Last edited by leofelix; 3rd December 2009 at 01:19.

js9600 is offline New Member

Well they don't seem to have fixed the high cpu usage problem some are seeing. Kind of annoying but I guess by design or not possible to change. Not all will have many big files in stuffed folders and since design also is to hold users hands MSE probably prefer to scan a bit too much than just enough.

marcEmarc, you are probably correct. Symantec put out a "report" on day of MSE release, pretty much thrashing it. Used to be such a cosy market... but not really hard to kick MSE. I have seen those who whine about Avira using too much ram so MSE is like a monster Ram don't matter and neither does perhaps a bit slow scan time. Cpu usage is worse but we will see how many notice. Remember Symantec have cpu gauge as part of interface for a reason. I much prefer Avast 5 (tempoary and static caching! = practically invisible) but MSE is still a perfect product for intended user group - those with no AV (or so they say, goals are probably a bit higher...)

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Problem is that those other guys will probably go to court (at least in the EU). And then the nice party will be spoiled. But maybe MS gets it their way like they did with the IE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast