DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Avast is reporting Spybot as a Trojan.

seti is offline Member

Thank you for your input Corrine, as usual you put thing in perspective. Nothing and no-one is perfect.

js9600 is offline New Member

Not trust AV and think for your self? What happens if you get an false positive categorized as severe or high in MSE with default settings? So it will never happen but conditions for trouble are there. I understand many users of MSE are not likely to understand much about infections or false positives, like in zero interest, but why MS don't use quarrantine as default action for everything I don't know.

Another perspective on FPs and that particular site testing AVs is they blow them out of proportion. Or check how sometimes obviously better detection is punished - more or less an Avira only issue though. I have seen some tests where Avira had like 15-20% better detection rate and yet did not win gold medals. A handful of FPs is enough to dump result. Logic can make one dizzy. A FP is worse than malware getting through? Unless FPs are so many they are annoying or so false they kill system I think they should be rated below detection abilities. FPs should be known to any user of AV. MS dissagrees but we will see how just auto-delete and spend time on something more interesting goes

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by js9600
    A FP is worse than malware getting through?
    Actually, yes, based on Dukesdad's experience -- as well as that of so many others in the instant example by Avast when system files were mistakenly included.

For testing purposes, I have a different A/V on three different systems. At no time have I ever kept the default settings. Depending on the available options, I select the "ask me" or "quarantine", never, ever remove. Then, as leofelix indicated, should there be a finding, if I do not know what it is, I research it -- whether it be the file name, dll or CLSID. Fortunately, in my case, the only detections have been f/p's. (A/V's are known not to like the custom tools we use in the forums for malware removal and periodically add them to the definitions.)

js9600 is offline New Member

That would depend on what type of malware it is. In most cases I bet you would prefer malware stopped and fix whatever FP issue manually. That site do not disclose what type of FP they catch. Not likely to be killing systems though - such FPs are rare and out of category but can happen, even to Avast. Not a good argument to reward X less FPs (out of how many?) and ignoring much better detection. What is AV installed for? Anyway, since they can't be excluded as a potential problem user should know about them. 1 can be just as bad as 10. Makes MS approach brave. I guess they have the resources to get away with it. Majority will never change those settings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123