Thread: Fake Windows Security Bulletin Notifications Link to Malware

leofelix is offline Member

Default Fake Windows Security Bulletin Notifications Link to Malware

Fake Windows Security Bulletin Notifications Link to Malware

It's not a critical update, it's malware

Malware distributors continue resorting to the fake software update lure for their email spam campaigns. The latest attack poses as a notification regarding a Windows security bulletin, which links to a malicious executable.

The rogue emails impersonate Steve Lipner, Microsoft’s Director of Security Assurance, who allegedly informs the receiver about a high-priority security update for all versions of Windows. "Please notice that Microsoft company has recently issued a Security Update for OS Microsoft Windows. The update applies to the following OS versions: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Millenium [sic], Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7," the fake message reads. (CUT)

As expected, the email goes on to recommend that the security update be installed immediately and provides a link to download it. It even tries to explain the reason for the message reaching your inbox in the first place, by claiming that "your computer is set to receive notifications when new updates are available."

The Windows-KBxxxxx-ENU.exe executable file linked in the email is generically detected by Sophos as Mal/EncPK-LL.....
    more:

Fake Windows Security Bulletin Notifications Link to Malware - It's not a critical update, it's malware - Softpedia

an evergreen old story

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up Leo.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Thanks Leo !!! BTW Windows 7 has Action Center instead of Security Center, that doesn't show Windows Security Bulletin Notifications using Red Marked Shield Icon.

If you gets any Red Marked Shield Icon, Use Good AV/Anti Mal-ware program.

For more information about Action Center notification, visit - Feature Focus: Action Center

seti is offline Member

I only use Windows update to keep myself updated. I also do not take any notice of other emails about security updates unless they come via Secuirty Garden and then Corrine tends to place it elsewhere so we know to trust it.

leofelix is offline Member

@ seti: I've recieved the same mail apparently from Microsoft in italian, a very poor italian.
    I deleted it directly from server, of course

It is an old trick, but unfortunately not all the Windows users know Microsoft never send critical patches via e-mail.

This tactic is called social engeneering

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by leofelix View Post
    @ seti: I've recieved the same mail apparently from Microsoft in italian, a very poor italian.
    I deleted it directly from server, of course

It is an old trick, but unfortunately not all the Windows users know Microsoft never send critical patches via e-mail.

This tactic is called social engeneering
    I take your point my friend exactly and am glad that you posted this here. That is the good thing about this forum is to remind everyone what is happening. I have never known MS to send anything out that I have not signed up