DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Fake antivirus scams rake in $150m FBI warns consumers of 2009's worst scams

seti is offline Member

Exclamation Fake antivirus scams rake in $150m FBI warns consumers of 2009's worst scams

Fake antivirus scams rake in $150m News - PC Advisor this link is to the above article which I found quite frightening in many ways because it shows how much is going on and how wide spread it is and how many are tricked by these scams.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I recently dealt with a nasty one. I think it was called SecurityCenter 2009 or something real close to that.

It locked all .exe files, Windows Security Center, msconfig, AND it prevented the computer from booting in safe mode.

leofelix is offline Member

Thank you seti for heads up.
    Information is important to prevent this kind of threats.
    Misleading applications trick the users (social engeneering) with false warnings, they asks for too many personal data in order to buy that rogue antivirus.

Generally opening Task Manager and killing all browser processes is enough when facing such a type of threats, user should also know that it is important to have the latest Sun Java JRE installed
    Last edited by leofelix; 14th December 2009 at 17:58.

seti is offline Member

Thank you Leofelix and Randy for your replies. I became aware of this problem firstly through Corrine who wrote something on Security Garden sometime back. She'll hate me for this, but I was wondering what her advice would be to prevent us becoming victims of these scams.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by leofelix View Post
    user should also know that it is important to have the latest Sun Java JRE installed
    And all previous versions of SunJava UNinstalled. In addition, don't forget about Adobe products, including Reader, Flash and Air. They also require security updates.

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    And all previous versions of SunJava UNinstalled. In addition, don't forget about Adobe products, including Reader, Flash and Air. They also require security updates.
    Thank you for the reminder Corrine,

JavaRa might be very useful for people upgrading from previous Sun Java JRE

Last edited by leofelix; 15th December 2009 at 03:23. Reason: spelling

ameya is offline Beginner

Default thanks for this tool javara

hey thanks for this tool quite usefull