Thread: Malicious Email Warning

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default Malicious Email Warning

I shop online and like many others I did it a lot of online shopping for Christmas. I placed an order at Amazon.com yesterday. Last night I received an email with my package tracking information that made it through my email filter because I have amazon.com cleared through my email filter.

This afternoon I got another email from Amazon but it was in my junk mail folder. When I opened it, it looked like it was from Amazon but I wondered why it was in my junk mail folder.

I did not click the link in the email to track my package but I went straight to the UPS website and entered the tracking number from the second (bogus) email and it said the tracking number did not exist. I called UPS and they said that it was an old tracking number that the tracking info has been cleared for.

I wonder what I would have gotten if I clicked the link in the email?

Cithel is offline Senior Member

If you still have it PM the link to me and I'll let you know.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Did not know you could do that. I deleted it.

Cithel is offline Senior Member

No worries. All I do is go to the link in a virtual machine and see what happens I just copy an existing VM and let it get trashed.

I'm probably a little strange in that I like to see if I can fix it after it gets attacked. Then I usually end up back tracking the attack site to the sites owners (when possible). I don't recommend anyone else doing this. But I enjoy it.

seti is offline Member

There have been many warnings about these bogus emails at this time of the year and something we need to all watch out for. We may all get caught out by them at some stage. You did exactly the right thing by contacting the people that you did. I had one the other day that was so very hard to tell if it was genuine or not, so in the end I contacted the supposed sender who checked the details and said it wasn't from them. They thanked me for informing them that this was happening and posted a warning about the email on their website. If in doubt then check with the company concerned, it will put your mind at rest and alert the company that it is happening.

luffy is offline Windows Enthusiast

Can you tell me what the Amazon email in the (bogus) email look like? Was the email address diff from the first Amazon email?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

For cases like that, it is handy to have Sandboxie around ( Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing ).