Thread: Spybot S&D Teatimer, With No IE in Windows 7

Plopper is offline Beginner

Default Spybot S&D Teatimer, With No IE in Windows 7

After installing Windows 7 one of the first things I did was un remove Internet Explorer and continue using Firefox, which got me to thinking!

Spybot's realtime Teatimer scans IE right, I don't have IE any more, do I really need it running all the time?

I know that one side of Teatimer is just for IE, but what REALLY does the Resident side of it do as I have NEVER had a warning from it in the many years that I've been using it.

So my question is. With Windows running Avast 5 and Zone Alarm all the time and also running Super Anti Spyware as just a scanner once a week, do I really need Spybot to do more than a weekly scan? Do I really need it to run all the time from startup, is there something really important that it does for me in the background that I don't even know about other than the things that I've just mentioned!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

AFAIK Teatimer mainly alerts you if any changes are made to the registry or the PC in general. It deosnt scan, as such.

IMO you really dont need the Teatimer running in Windows 7.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

1. I doubt you "uninstalled" IE. You probably disabled it but it is still there (unless you slipstreamed the installation disk with vLite).
    2. During the Spybot installation, you can uncheck the installation of the Teatimer. If you have not done that, you can stop it in the startups.
    3. Yes, the Teatimer can be a pain - I prefer the same function provided by WinPatrol - especially the pro version (which I got the other day for $0.99) gives you more information.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Spybot Search & Destroy has been a wonderful free product in the fight against cookies, malwares and other nasties over the years offering good scanning and simple fixing but the lack of automatic updates, bugs and false positives make it difficult to recommend in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by marcEmarc View Post
    Spybot Search & Destroy has been a wonderful free product in the fight against cookies, malwares and other nasties over the years offering good scanning and simple fixing but the lack of automatic updates, bugs and false positives make it difficult to recommend in 2010.
    Very true, it has been part of my security setup for many a year now, but it's been superseeded so badly now because it just hasen't kept up with the times.

I've also just STOPPED using Zone Alarm that I used for years also, just recently EVERY time I startup or reboot the damn thing splashes a pester screen asking me to upgrade.

I've gone with Windows 7 Wirewall Control Free.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    1. I doubt you "uninstalled" IE. You probably disabled it but it is still there (unless you slipstreamed the installation disk with vLite).
    2. During the Spybot installation, you can uncheck the installation of the Teatimer. If you have not done that, you can stop it in the startups.
    3. Yes, the Teatimer can be a pain - I prefer the same function provided by WinPatrol - especially the pro version (which I got the other day for $0.99) gives you more information.
    Well I did whatever happens when you remove Windows features with the control panel option?

whs

Well I did whatever happens when you remove Windows features with the control panel option?
    That only disables it.

Ah! I see. No worries, IE has only sat on whatever version of Windows I've used for many a year now, except in work were I have to use it!

Update, so far Windows Firewall control free is working great, and I've enabled Windows' Defender again, and I'm using Spybot and Super Anti Spyware only as on demand scanners.

whs

I guess if you are running Avast, you can enable the Defender. If you were using MSE, you could not because the Defender functions have become part of MSE - in fact MSE uses the msmpeng.exe of Defender.