DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning to anyone not using Antivirus

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Exclamation Warning to anyone not using Antivirus

As admin of TWC, several friends and my family found out yesterday I had my Hotmail account hijacked and was used to send out an email to everyone in my contact list directing them to a spam site yesterday morning. After close to 10 years and thinking I was not vulnerable to the attacks that I hear so much about it has happened.

Warning to all. I finally found how they got me. I frequent many sites, one of the largest being Deviantart. Yesterday upon loading Deviantart my newly updated antivirus went nuts. Normally I had been going to Deviantart and IE8 would almost freeze up before loading and I thought it just some screwed up coding or something. The trojan was embedded into the ads. So from personal experience make sure you use antivirus, make sure you update it, and above all, remember these morons can get you anywhere anytime, so stay protected !!!!!!!!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes i was surprised when I received a spam mail from LW, yesterday! I ofcourse instantly knew that his mail id had been compromised.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Its time to dump IE8 and wait for a new version of IE. Every month we see a new vulnerability in IE.

BTW I haven't used any Antivirus since the day I installed Windows 7 on my PC, and that was about a 6-7 months ago. And I am still immune to viruses and Trojans.

The record continues...

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by riteshtechie View Post
    Its time to dump IE8 and wait for a new version of IE. Every month we see a new vulnerability in IE.

BTW I haven't used any Antivirus since the day I installed Windows 7 on my PC, and that was about a 6-7 months ago. And I am still immune to viruses and Trojans.

The record continues...
    If you do not have anti virus installed how do you know if your system is infected or not? No anti virus means no bells and whistles going off to alert you.

Unless you are only working in a sand box I doubt any PC connected to the internet can survive 6 months without being attacked.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrMBerman View Post
    If you do not have anti virus installed how do you know if your system is infected or not? No anti virus means no bells and whistles going off to alert you.

Unless you are only working in a sand box I doubt any PC connected to the internet can survive 6 months without being attacked.
    I agree. I thought I was immune as well until I turned my antivirus on and updated it for the first time in a couple of years. Never think you are immune

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I have been running MSE on W7 since it came out and have had no issues. I also run Winpatrol Plus and Malwarebytes paid version both of these cost money but they are not a subscription just a one time fee.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

The record continues...
    Immune? No, not hardly. In addition, if you read the Security Bulletins, it is IE6 predominantly that is the problem, followed by IE7. IE8 has not been impacted by all of the vulnerabilities.

What L.W. experienced is described as a drive-by. (See How-to: Reduce Vulnerability to Drive-by Downloads.)

BTW, from Windows 95 through Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, I have never had a malware infection on my computers. I attribute it to proper security, safe surfing and good fortune. I do not, however, consider my computers immune from infection.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Quote Originally Posted by MrMBerman View Post
    Ok I scanned my PC and...............
    OOPS I was wrong my system has got 1 Trojan Horse (NOD 32 results).

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Ok I scanned my PC and...............
    OOPS I was wrong my system has got 1 Trojan Horse (NOD 32 results).
    Good to see you scanned your PC. It's a dark and dangerous world out there.

1 Trojan horse can be responsible for key logging, password and bank information stealing, opening of back doors and the unwilling joining of any number of botnets including the infamous Zeus and Conficker responsible for billions of spam mail.

Today, having an unprotected PC is foolish. No one unwittingly wants to aid and abet the criminals behind all this malware. We owe it to ourselves and the worldwide Internet community to fight and eradicate all forms malware and to do that we must start by protecting our own machines.

Zecom is offline Beginner

I scan twice every day on all our computers, an AV is a must these days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast