Thread: Remove Malware with free Mcafee Stinger

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Default Remove Malware with free Mcafee Stinger

I was looking around lifehacker and came across this. I didn't even know they were still updating it but apparently it's been updated to build 10.1.0.815 as of yesterday

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

A new Stinger has been developed to specifically target "FakeAlert" threats being seen in the wild. This version of Stinger Detects and removes the following "FakeAlert" Variants - Kryptik, AVP Security, Fakespypro, Winwebsec, Antivirus Soft and XPSpy.

More Info:
    McAfee Threat Center

Article found on LifeHacker
    McAfee Stinger Removes Hard-to-Tackle Malware and Pesky Fake-Alert Programs - McAfee Labs Stinger - Lifehacker

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Good to have a second stand-alone AV tool like this one around. Thanks for informing.

DeborahJ is offline Senior Member

McAfee Stinger v 12 has been released.

Get it here Stinger | McAfee Free Tools
    Release Notes http://downloadcenter.mcafee.com/pro...ger/Readme.txt

I always prefer to take a second opinion from this tool.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

This is one of the tools I use for removing viruses. When in safe mode, this works (along with other tools) to do a good scan of a drive with a stand alone scanner. It's definitely proved very valuable in many cases.