Thread: New Facebook scam - Try not to laugh!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default New Facebook scam - Try not to laugh!

Eset has just encountered what appears to be a new Facebook scam in the wild. As of this moment we haven't seen any malicious content being served, but the content is changing even as Iím writing this post and itís likely to serve malware soon. It spreads by adding a link on the Facebook wall, such as
    "try not to laugh"

Painful Facebook Malware? Only When I Laugh. | ESET ThreatBlog

optimus is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thank you Happy...i too saw a malware appplication named "video wave" is spreading in facebook...it's bit sad,facebook is really unsecure social network....many AV softwares,cannot acess & scan facebook applications,links etc....i saw NIS2011 beta has something called norton safeweb..it's a good trend..

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Also today we have this virus doing the rounds, some of my more stupid friends managed to get infected.

Via SOPHOS Distracting Beach Babes video attack hits Facebook users | Graham Cluley's blog

Distracting Beach Babes video attack hits Facebook users

Thousands of Facebook users are reporting that they have been hit by a malware attack posing as a video of young bikini-clad women on a beach.

The messages are posted on the walls of Facebook members, seemingly from their friends and associates on the site, with a thumbnail which appears to be an image of a young woman's bottom in a bikini.

The messages read:

<name>, this is hilarious! lol :P :P :P Distracting Beach Babes [HQ] Length: 5:32

The "Distracting Beach Babes" scam appears to be the latest incarnation of the widespread "Sexiest Video Ever" assault we saw spreading on Facebook last weekend, installing adware onto victims' computers which can make money for the hackers behind the attack.

And you shouldn't be in any doubt as to how successful a scheme like this can be. Many Facebook users are all-too-comfortable with receiving salacious videos and humourous links from their friends, and will click on them without a moment's thought. Unfortunately that can then begin a bombardment of malicious posts to their social networking contacts - do you really want a blitz like this unleashed in your name?

Fortunately, some Facebook users are using the medium to warn each other of the threat:

webdragon is offline New Member

Lots of Malware are Spreading in facebook. I have got a Malware warning once with facebook. Facebook applications are spreading many viruses. Facebook have to take more and more security scans to avoid these types of malwares. Thousands of webusers are complaining about facebook, but still there is no safety from facebook.

optimus is offline Windows Enthusiast

are u guys using "Norton safe web" application??..it's still in beta stage...Norton safe web ..it checks /scans only "links" ,not applications...hope there will be a FB application scanner too in near future...for the time being,i always check the application rating before i use an application on FB..