Thread: Security-problem with Comodoīs firewall & Defence+ !

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default Security-problem with Comodoīs firewall & Defence+ !

hi !

there seems to be a really BIG Security-problem with Comodoīs firewall & Defence+.

last night i when running Comodoīs Leak-Test (CLT) i discovered that itīs NOT working as it should & as it used to do.
    i only got 180 / 340 points !

OMG...

a complete disaster, although a-squared (now EAM) did a good job and detected 5 suspected activities that Comodo missed.

last time i checked with CLT i got 340/340, so there must be some problems.

last night i spent an hour checking all my settings & trying to improve the security, but nothing i did helped.
    iīve been working a few hours now, trying everything possible, but itīs still 180/340.

so if you are using Comodoīs Firewall & Defence+, the latest version 4.0.141842.828 from 12 April 2010, then i strongly suggest that you run CLT and check your own results !

iīm using Online Armor FREE now and i got 330/340 when running CLT.

i previously used W7-beta, W7-RC, W7-Professional, when i tested Comodo with CLT.
    now iīm running W7-Enterprise 32-bit, but i also have both Vista & Windows Server 2008 installed, so iīm going to install Comodo on those 2 O/Sīs just to verify that it isnīt W7-Enterprise that is acting weird.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 26th May 2010 at 01:55.

finally some good news, after having had enough of Online Armor blocking my soundcard, i decided to reinstall Comodo.

guess what ?
    now everything is back to normal....
    after running a new test with CLT itīs 340/340 !

but now the BIG question remains: how the he*l could Comodo suddenly stop working ???

pip22 is offline New Member

I gave up on Comodo after battling for months with it's over-complicated interface and security options. I disabled Defence+ which made Comodo more manageable and less intrusive, and then I got to thinking - what's the point of using something you've got to semi-cripple in order to tolerate it?

It's a shame because as a free, complete security suite Comodo has no competition that I know of. But it's author has tried too hard and made it attractive only to geeks who are paranoid about cyber-attacks. For everyone else it's way too sophisticated.

pip22: "I disabled Defence+ which made Comodo more manageable and less intrusive,"

Defence+ is no problem & itīs very important to use it.
    without Defence+ you donīt have any real control of programs.
    with both Firewall & Defence+ in "Safe-mode", you only get notified when you start a new program.

but what really worries me is the fact that it suddenly stopped working....
    i wonder when that happened, for how long have i had reduced security ?
    after this iīm not sure that i can trust Comodo anymore....
    i find it hard to accept that a security-program fails to do itīs job.

i have now managed to get Online Armor working as it should, meaning itīs not blocking my soundcard anymore,
    so iīm using OA instead.
    iīve run CLT several times and it blocks everything, which means itīs just as good as Comodo.
    iīve also run Comodoīs CPIL-test, and it blocks all 3 tests, which btw. Comodo doesnīt, so itīs actually better than Comodo in that test.

iīm going to run more tests later, also on Zonealarm.

pip22 is offline New Member

Well other free firewalls offer all I need without Comodo's sophistication and all that Defence+ nonsense.

Currently I'm using 'PC Tools Firewall Plus'. I've got full control over what applications are allowed to communicate over the internet, and anything the firewall doesn't recognise as safe is automatically blocked until I remove the block. That's all I or most people need from any two-way firewall if, like me, they are behind a router which has it's own hardware firewall, in which case Comodo is 'overkill'.

Come to think of it, It didn't start with Windows a few times when I used it too. That's when I decided to give it the push and go look for an alternative, having already half made my mind up because of it being too complicated & nagging me too many times.

I also use some cd-burning software called 'CDBurnerXP' which, according to it's developer, can be adversely affected by Comodo Antivirus. I've no intention of getting rid of CDBurnerXP because it's free & excellent on Windows 7, so that's another reason Comodo has to go.

"all that Defence+ nonsense."

Defence+ is NOT nonsense, itīs a very important part of the protection.

"CDBurnerXP..."

there are several other free DVD/CD-burner programs that works with Comodo on W7.
    fx. Infrarecorder & Imgburn.

but i agree that Comodo has a lot of options that can confuse you.
    i took me some time to understand Comodo when i switched from Online Armor & Outpost to Comodo.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Windows 7, A router, Good AV, Good AntiMalware, and a bit of common sense are all that's needed. No need for a 3rd party firewall in 2010.

yes, you can use W7īs own firewall, but you have to create rules manually, which requires a lot of work.
    there is another very good reason to use a 3rd-party firewall like fx. Comodo or Online Armor, WF doesnīt have any HIPS.

anyway, this thread is not for a general discussion of firewalls etc.
    i strongly suggest that we discuss that in another thread.

this thread is about the security-problems with Comodoīs FW.

anyone else using Comodo ?
    are you having the same problem ?

ORKAN is offline Beginner

Probably it's normal issue with Comodo---bugs problems happpens to every new versions.
    Secondly may be due to compatibility with Win7.