Thread: 2 new tools from VirusTotal: VirusTotal uploader & VTzilla !

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default 2 new tools from VirusTotal: VirusTotal uploader & VTzilla !

hi !

2 new tools from VirusTotal: VirusTotal uploader & VTzilla

"What is VirusTotal uploader?

To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

The latest version 2 of the VirusTotal Uploader utility adds a new program window with some useful extra features..."

VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner

"What is VTzilla?

VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.

The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button."

VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner

this must be one of the best news regarding computer-security that iīve heard about.

VTzilla makes life a lot easier when you need to check suspicious files.

i have installed VTzilla, but i havenīt had time to try it yet, might test it later tonight.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 11th August 2010 at 21:01.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I didn't care for the VTzilla toolbar. The functionality could be improved by making the options to scan a URL or search VT also available via right-click menu.

hi !

?

Corrine: i also donīt want the toolbar, i removed it immediately, of course not for security-reasons,
    but it took space from my browserwindow by adding an extra line to the menu.

there ARE a rightclick-option in VTzilla.

the second link above: VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner

in the middle of the page: "Scan suspicious links with VTzilla"

"...you right click on the suspicious link and select the Scan with VirusTotal option from the context menu: "

and, it works !

i just checked your link to ASAP:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4801/asap.png

VirusTotal says itīs a "Clean site"....
    Last edited by hackerman1; 11th August 2010 at 15:25.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes I installed and uninstalled it yesterday for the same reason it adds an extra line and occupies space.

Nevertheless introducing the URL checker was a nice idea.

VirusTotal says TWC is clean ... So says WOT too

Andy: you donīt have to uninstall VTzilla to remove the toolbar, just click on "View" in the menu at the top, then under the sub-menu "Toolbars", just unmark "VirusTotal Toolbar"....

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I missed that, let me try that again tomorrow

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Team Cymru (pronounced "kum-ree") has released a similar extension, Team Cymru MHR 1.1 Firefox extension. The purpose of the extension is to check downloaded files against multiple anti-virus and anti-malware products from the Firefox download window. All you need do is click "Check MHR" shown under the time in the download window.

Note: This extension does not replace your antivirus software. Rather, it is a supplement. In the event the download is identified as malware, it can be deleted rather than installed.