Thread: windows xp security tips

alevin46 is offline Beginner

Default windows xp security tips

Hello Friends......

i am going to be storing a windows xp sp3 based tower for a period of months while travelling. while the tower will be relatively secure, i'm unfamiliar with newer password cracking techniques, as i've never had to implement them. all sensative data on the machine is encrypted using fips algorithms on ntfs drive. i am hoping some of you can give me some tips to guard against a brute force attack against this machine. although it might sound a bit odd, this machine was the first i ever built from the ground up, per se. it's kind of serves as a time capsule. although i'm aware of the fact that brute force attacks are not 100% preventable, i'd like to make it as difficult as possible. i have no experience with hacking myself, although i should, to prevent it from happening. any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

Corrine is offline Gold Member

i am going to be storing a windows xp sp3 based tower for a period of months while travelling.
    Hi, alevin46.

By storing, are you referring to disconnecting all cables and placing the tower in a closet where you live or will it be packed in a box and in a paid "storage facility"? Is your concern that your home or the storage facility will be broken in to and the tower stolen?

If you are referring to a storage facility, I would be more concerned about the elements damaging the computer, particularly if you live in an area of extreme weather conditions. You need to ensure that the tower is properly boxed with appropriate padding and water condensation protection.

Hi, alevin46.

I happened to come across How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown after my initial reply to your question. Because there are some third-party programs temporarily store unencrypted (plain-text) passwords or other sensitive information in memory, you may want to run the Microsoft Fix it solution prior to shutting down the computer for storage.

braidy is offline New Member

Hi,
    I installed Norton 360 version 3.0 on my windows XP service pack 2. Everything works great except for Windows Security Center. When i see if i have an anti-virus program it says that i have no anti-virus software and i need to install one soon. I need to know how i can make it realize that Norton is my anti-virus program please help because its really frustrating.

Hi, braidy.

Please see the instructions provided to your post at http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...rity-tool.html . Note that after your computer is cleaned, you need to update to Service Pack 3. SP2 is no longer supported by Microsoft.