Thread: Use EMET from Microsoft to block 0-day exploits in Adobe Reader, Acrobat, etc

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default Use EMET from Microsoft to block 0-day exploits in Adobe Reader, Acrobat, etc

hi !

Use Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit to block Adobe Reader and Acrobat 0-day exploit !

"Background on the exploit As you probably know there is a new exploit in the wild for Adobe Reader and Acrobat. This particular exploit is using the Return Oriented Programming (ROP) exploit technique in order to bypass Data Execution Prevention (DEP).

Normally Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) would help prevent successful exploitation. However, this product ships with a DLL (icucnv36.dll) that doesn’t have ASLR turned on. Without ASLR, this DLL is always going to be loaded at a predictable address and can be leverage by an exploit. "

Use EMET 2.0 to block Adobe Reader and Acrobat 0-day exploit - Security Research & Defense - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

"Today we are pleased to announce the availability of the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) version 2.0. Users can click here to download the tool free of charge. "

The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 2.0 is Now Available - Security Research & Defense - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

although i donīt use Adobe Reader myself, this looks VERY interesting,
    since it should be possible to use the EMET-tool to block 0-day exploits in other programs too.

i have to take a closer look on the subject tomorrow...

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice share. Thanks!

Pankaj is offline Senior Member

Visited the link but looks difficult to use. Maybe its not for use on the desktop version.

hi !

"desktop version" ?

what do you mean ?

Pankaj is offline Senior Member

I meant, is it for use on the Windows desktop or server version only? If it can be used on Windows desktop version, how to do it.

hi !

but what is "windows desktop version" ?

do you you mean XP, Vista, W7 ?

if so, then YES you can.

read the information on those 2 links i posted above:

on the first link "Use EMET 2.0 to block":

"Mandatory ASLR: On Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 this mitigation will force the relocation of non ASLR-aware DLLs. "

"Export Address Table Access Filtering (EAF): The exploit is also blocked by the EAF mitigation. This is important for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 because they do not support mandatory ASLR."