Thread: ESET NOD32 AV 4 Slowing Down System

VileShadow is offline New Member

Default ESET NOD32 AV 4 Slowing Down System

I've tried NOD32 in the past a while back but got Norton when they actually became really good in terms of performance.
    However now I've started using Panda Cloud Antivirus which is great but I would also like to give NOD32 another go!

The problem is that after it is installed I have the whole computer (except Windows Explorer) almost freezing IE9 and Firefox tend to freeze every few seconds and mostly when a new page is loading. Loading things in Explorer or such daily things as syncing my iPhone with iTunes makes it take much much much longer than it should and appearing as no progress has been made!

There are no scans happening in the background either nor any other processes taking huge amounts of RAM or CPU usage.

This is a 6GB RAM Triple Channel 2000MHz, i7 930 @2.80GHZ, with 1TB x2 of HD and well maintained as it has never slowed down like this.

I'm starting to think it could be like what you had to do with Panda Cloud AV which was a Full Scan to add objects to its excude list which makes the future scans and real-time scanning much quicker. Does NOD32 do the same thing?
    Last edited by VileShadow; 6th October 2010 at 02:34.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

are you using both panda & eset ?

2 antivirus-programs together can cause a lot of trouble...

I realized that two can cause issues with each other Panda has been completely disabled from starting via MSConfig I wouldn't see how it could affect anything while it's disabled like that.
    However when I disable NOD32's Real-time protection everything goes back to normal no slowness at all.
    Still don't understand why Real-Time would cause that much slowness...

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Most of the Firewall blocks local NETBIOS ports used by system services – those services that use “NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK” as user name like sysmain – Superfetch, for example. The services all run under “svchost” and too often the 3rd party Firewall’s block some/all network svchost activity or severely interfere with them. This can result in random freezing and reboot even can cause Blue screen of death. I have written about this BSOD vs. Internet Security !! Captain Debugger So the workaround wouuld be to make sure svchost and other System services are not blocked by ESET.

- Captain

Vajlent is offline New Member

Do you have 2 antivirus-programs...then you have answered your own question!
    that if something slows down your computer!

I've been using Eset's products for a long time & it has NEVER slowed
    down my computer, but Panda's and others do this!

Can not understand why you insist on installing two!?!

Yes this is a normal problem with Nod32 because this is very heavy antivirus software
    Heavy? no, no, no! Compared to what?

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmour View Post
    Yes this is a normal problem with Nod32 because this is very heavy antivirus software........ or sometime it just to due to compatibility issues. so just try another antivirus
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajlent View Post
    Heavy? no, no, no! Compared to what?
    Beat me to it! I've yet to have an issue with NOD on my XP and Seven set ups or the Daughters Vista set up.

The only issue I've ever had with Seven is after doing a fresh or repair install and I've forgotten to turn off/disable Windows Defender, so make sure that it isn't running as well.

charlie408 is offline New Member

Its highly protected antivirus now a days..
    Your system will slows down with another reason like,
    cookies, registry information.
    I have a licence version of the ESAT, but it runs faster then others..

Well this is quite odd does the same thing on my laptop (no AV or thirdparty security software on it either) by the way the laptop and desktop are both Win7 x64 bit too!

Both computers are extremely slow when they load the desktop (about 3 start up programs very little time taken to start those). On my desktop explorer.exe freezes and i have to end task it and run it again from taskmanager then finally slowly turn off the real-time protection and vollia speeds are back to what they should be. The laptop just leaves a blank screen for about 2 minutes before I see explorer load.

I do not think this would be to do with Panda as it was disabled fully and even on my laptop without any other AV software it has troubles loading after login and this is a higher end laptop too. With you opinion of ESET being 'Heavy' I think I might recall a report done not so long ago by AV-Comparatives comparing NOD32 to other products... NOD32 was one of the security suites with the fastest performance along with others. Now if NOD32 real-time protection causes this amount of slowdown I would be thinking why they would even be putting it up as a final product!

All the evidence shows that this is to do with NOD32's Real-time protection when it's enabled and everything works fine when it's disabled. Again I would like to mention both these PC's are high end and well maintained I keep them clean in the proper manner so they do not have performance problems.

I'm starting to suspect this may be a Windows 7 x64 issue rather than anything else.

Vajlent is offline New Member

With the correct settings it doesn't slow you down!