Thread: Dear MS, Please Stop Pushing Potentially Unwanted Software Through Windows Update !

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default Dear MS, Please Stop Pushing Potentially Unwanted Software Through Windows Update !

hi !

"One of my home machines is Windows 7 Enterprise x64. A few days ago an interesting thing started happening. Windows Update (WU) traybar is notifying that there is a new “Important Update” that needs to be installed. I have it configured for manual update because I want to decide what gets installed and what doesn’t. So I open the WU console and look at the details of the “Important Update” and to my surprise its not an update at all but rather a bunch of new software which I don’t really want in the first place nor have already installed on my machine, so it doesn’t need updating. It seems Microsoft is reverting to using WU to push unwanted software, kinda like what adware, spyware and rogue software does. I guess if you can’t convince users to download and install your software the next best thing is to push it down their throats whether they like it or not. Nice move MSFT!

I decide to un-check the “Important Update” and forget about it. But to my (second) surprise, the WU notification from the traybar does not disappear as it normally does when you decide not to install an update. I open the WU console again and, surprise surprise, the “Important Update” is still there checked by default (even though I already told it I don’t want it), ready to be installed as soon as a user hits the “Install Updates” button."

read the full story at Panda Research Blog: Dear Microsoft: Please Stop Pushing Potentially Unwanted Software Through Windows Update | Panda Research Blog

i have had some problems myself recently, which seems to be caused by a few "Security updates" !
    i restored my system from the backup, then i installed a few update at a time until the problems apperared again.
    then i took a close look at those last updates and discovered that some of them were for running 32-bit applications on a 64-bit system.
    since im running W7-32, why should i install those ?!

since some updates might be unnesssary and can cause you a lot of trouble my advice is:
    dont let Windows Update install updates automatically,
    instead set it to notify about available updates, then take a good look at each update before you install them.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 26th October 2010 at 11:20.

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

This is an image from your specified post.

I see that "Give me updates for Microsoft Products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update windows" is checked. If you uncheck that, you wont see live essentials in windows update.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I believe Panda Cloud also pushes some toolbar

But yes if you are not careful with WU settings, you could end up with a large sized download/install

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nithinr6 View Post
    This is an image from your specified post.

I see that "Give me updates for Microsoft Products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update windows" is checked. If you uncheck that, you wont see live essentials in windows update.
    it is not MY screenshot...
    you should tell that to the original poster over at Panda Security Blogs...

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

lol I guess they should have checked their WU settings before publishing the story.
    Anyways the big corps does rely on their Update console. I remember someone complaining about Apple trying to install safari through the iTunes updates.