DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Recomendation for a trojan scanner wanted.

japp is offline Gold Member

Default Recomendation for a trojan scanner wanted.

Mischel's TrojanHunter behaves crazy on my pc and I'm looking for a substitute for it.
    What are the recomendations from the folks in here?

Corrine is offline Gold Member

I don't recall what security software you currently have on your computer. What are you using and do you really need a separate security program dedicated specifically to trojans? Isn't your antivirus software effective?

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

I agree with Corrine. But if you don't have any then you should think about a Antivirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    I don't recall what security software you currently have on your computer. What are you using and do you really need a separate security program dedicated specifically to trojans? Isn't your antivirus software effective?
    I have Avast free and WinPatrol free.

While testing TH it found some trojans which Avast didn't in some downloaded files, so I want a second line of defence (better safe than sorry).
    I'd like to buy TH, but Magnus' support to find a solution to why there's a problem to scan files on my NAS is absent unlike back in the "good ol' days.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Jack View Post
    I agree with Corrine. But if you don't have any then you should think about a Antivirus.
    Please see my reply to Corrine.

Trojan Hunter is the only reputable software I am aware of that is dedicated specifically to trojans. However, the line of demarcation between what is included in the definitions of antivirus and anti-malware programs has become much narrower than it used to be. The object is, in my opinion, to keep your system clean rather than disinfecting it. There will always be malware detected by one program that is not found in the definitions of another.

There are steps that can be taken beyond a software firewall, router, updated third-party software, Microsoft security updates, antivirus and anti-malware software. You could add a HOSTS file. See, for example, Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File. Another option is to install and update SpywareBlaster to prevent the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software. See SpywareBlaster® | Prevent spyware and malware. Free download.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

Corrine, do you remember TDS-3? Its ofcourse no longer available, but if Im not mistaken it was an amazing anti-trojan software.

I had heard of Trojan Defence Suite but even during the time it was supported Trojan Hunter was the software of choice within the security community. Of course, I am certain I had a bit of bias since I had a friend who had left another vendor and was working at Trojan Hunter around that period of time. (He has long since finished University and moved on.)

During the time period that anti-trojan software was popular, anti-virus companies predominantly stuck with viruses and not trojans. During that period of time (2005, 2006 when TDS-3 ended), the major concerns were things like the IBIS toolbar, Vundo, SmitFraud. Merijn hadn't sold HJT to Trend Micro yet. A lot has changed since then. Malware has become more sophisticated and so have the tools we use in the removal process.
    Capt.Jack likes this.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

That is true. The reason given when TDS-3 declared a shutdown, was that AV companies were now including anti-trojan definations and hence TDS-3 had, of sorts, become obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    That is true. The reason given when TDS-3 declared a shutdown, was that AV companies were now including anti-trojan definations and hence TDS-3 had, of sorts, become obsolete.
    I used TDS-3 back then and was very pleased with both it and the company. Also there were BOClean with super reputation and super support. Sadly It was finally bought by Comodo and finally they included it in their software suite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast