Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Corrine
  • 2 Post By J_B_MVP

Thread: AntiBrowserSpy - useful or not?

japp is offline Gold Member

Default AntiBrowserSpy - useful or not?

I'd like to have opinions on whether AntiBrowserSpy is a really useful tool or just a waste of money:

"AntiBrowserSpy stops web browsers from spying their users
    Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, etc. - Most of today’s web browsers are sending data to their manufacturers. Sometimes it is a unique ID and sometimes it is a URL of a website that a user has tried to invoke. AntiBrowserSpy is a tool designed for helping users to switch off browser spy functionality. In addition to this, it may remove internet traces and it may perform backups of browser settings allowing users to take their settings with them when switching to a new PC.
    "

AntiBrowserSpy - Stop your web browsers from spying you. AntiBrowserSpy can delete webtraces, create backups and remove internet traces.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Looks like a waste of money. If a person is that paranoid, they should use "private mode" and clear history/cookies when exiting the browser.
    Capt.Jack likes this.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

If you had the opportunity to look under the hood of this software CCleaner probably does more when cleaning cookies, history, etc. As Corrine says, you would have to be paranoid to require software such as this, but then, why spend money when Private mode will do a similar thing. What oen has to ask oneself is 'who am i trying to hide from?' If it is ones loved ones - you don't want them to know you have visited certain dubious sites - then Private Mode should cover you. If, on the other hand, it is a matter of the authorities, then why waste your money. Regardless of the 'hype' government agencies have software that can easily trawl your PC and locate anything you 'thought' was hidden. InCase is one example.
    Capt.Jack and Corrine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    Looks like a waste of money. If a person is that paranoid, they should use "private mode" and clear history/cookies when exiting the browser.
    I'm not that paranoid, if so I would stop surfing
    But, coming across this and that said to make surfing safer makes me wanna ask.

Quote Originally Posted by J_B_MVP View Post
    If you had the opportunity to look under the hood of this software CCleaner probably does more when cleaning cookies, history, etc. As Corrine says, you would have to be paranoid to require software such as this, but then, why spend money when Private mode will do a similar thing. What oen has to ask oneself is 'who am i trying to hide from?' If it is ones loved ones - you don't want them to know you have visited certain dubious sites - then Private Mode should cover you. If, on the other hand, it is a matter of the authorities, then why waste your money. Regardless of the 'hype' government agencies have software that can easily trawl your PC and locate anything you 'thought' was hidden. InCase is one example.

I have yet to surf in Private mode or to be paranoid. Should it come to that I'll sell my pc.
    Just like to har the opinions of people with more knowledge than myself and thereby also help others to decide.

I have yet to surf in Private mode or to be paranoid. Should it come to that I'll sell my pc.
    Just like to har the opinions of people with more knowledge than myself and thereby also help others to decide.
    It is good that you ask the opinion of others as, yes, it does help others make an informed decision. Some of the third part software out there is extremely good and, in many cases, worth having but, at the same time, there is also a lot of rubbish out there that, frankly, does more harm than good. The problem is that software changes so quickly that it is difficult to create a recommendation list - yes one can recommend the older tried and tested application but there are some good new comers too. I tend to not recommend much additional software simply because it bogs your system down and, as I have stated elsewhere on the TWC forum, in the end we only actually use around 10% of all the software on our PCs as it is, so why waste time and effort loading even more software that we will simply use once and then disgard?

It is good that you ask the opinion of others as, yes, it does help others make an informed decision. Some of the third part software out there is extremely good and, in many cases, worth having but, at the same time, there is also a lot of rubbish out there that, frankly, does more harm than good. The problem is that software changes so quickly that it is difficult to create a recommendation list - yes one can recommend the older tried and tested application but there are some good new comers too. I tend to not recommend much additional software simply because it bogs your system down and, as I have stated elsewhere on the TWC forum, in the end we only actually use around 10% of all the software on our PCs as it is, so why waste time and effort loading even more software that we will simply use once and then disgard?
    I agree with you. One exception or addition, there are also a lot of rubbish from the big companies. I have often switched from famous brands to less know ones and gotten far better programs.

One exception or addition, there are also a lot of rubbish from the big companies. I have often switched from famous brands to less know ones and gotten far better [COLOR=#000096 !important][COLOR=#000096 !important]programs[/COLOR][/COLOR].

• I won't disagree with you there japp. It really is a case of sifting the wheat from the chaff. Even some of Microsoft's software has been rubbish!

[/LIST]
    • I won't disagree with you there japp. It really is a case of sifting the wheat from the chaff. Even some of Microsoft's software has been rubbish!

And I will surely find more rubbish on my way