Thread: Free Or Cheap Backup Software With Specific Functions

Stirwpgp is offline Beginner

Default Free Or Cheap Backup Software With Specific Functions

Hi,

I've been using Driveimage XML for Windows Backups for some time. It get the job done. Incremental backup
    would be nice but since Windows is not my primary OS and I don't have a lot of files there, it works fine. There are two things that drive me crazy though:1. On Vista/Windows 7, Driveimage forces me to deactivate UAC and restart every single time I want to backup.2. Driveimage cannot restore to a partition smaller than the one it backed up.Does anyone know of a backup utility
    , free or less than $20, That will allow me to do full image-based backups without either of these limitations? Incremental backups would be cool too, but this may be asking to much for the price range.

japp is offline Gold Member

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

The more options you actually need the more expensive the backup application is going to be. I have previously used 'free' backup application but have found them seriously wanting. I personally use Acronis True Image; unfortunately it is beyond your stated price limit www.acronis.com This enables me to do incremental backups as well as full imagining; although I must admit that I rarely do incremental backups, much preferring to do a full backup every few days.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Free Paragon will do. Free Backup Software: Paragon Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free Edition - Overview

I must admit that I rarely do incremental backups, much preferring to do a full backup every few days.
    That is the safest way to do it, although differential (not incrementals) like in Paragon ot Macrium Pro are pretty safe too.
    Last edited by whs; 21st June 2011 at 17:16.