Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Security software comparison - Norton vs MSE

Stirwpgp is offline Beginner

Default Security software comparison - Norton vs MSE

Hello kind people!
    I have been using Norton Security Suite which I get free thru Comcast and
    i'm wondering how it compares to the free MSE security as far as system
    resource utilization or which one would be better for this old gamer as my
    new pc will be here soon and I don't want it bogged down with a resource hog.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Bellaar is offline Windows Enthusiast

I had my Windows PC built professionally..Win7, had PC since Jan this year.using MSE have no probs.

Norton is high on resourses, Ive never used Norton, is your new PC Dual or Quad Prosseser?? Mine is Quad

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Well seeing that you already have a license of Norton and have it installed, maybe you could continue to use it. After its expiry - you can use MSE. It will keep you protected for sure!
    Corrine likes this.

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

If low system resource utilization is your top priority, then Microsoft Security Essentials is the best option for you as it utilizes very small amount of your CPU/RAM than Norton.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Norton is high on resourses, Ive never used Norton
    If you never used it, how do you know.

I use both NIS2011 on 3 systems of heavy use and MSE on 3 systems with light use. With MSE I have already caught malware twice and had to reset to an earlier image. With NIS2011 I never had such problems - and those systems are heavy internet users. And btw. - NIS2011 uses a lot less resources than MSE - e.g. 1.800KB versus 60.000KB of RAM.

Bellaar is offline Windows Enthusiast

Just saying my Sister had Norton + reading other peoples comments on Norton

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Norton is a commercial software so it will have lot of bells and whistles like Outlook plugins, Firewall and lot of additional perks. While MSE is just a basic nothing but AV scanning. So if your getting it for free then I would recommend to use Norton. Norton has improved a lot over the years in terms of the Memory consumption.

ORKAN is offline Beginner

MSE cannot be compared with Norton with all extends.
    MSE is freeware & just having the basic functions of antivirus/antispyware & nothing else. Scanning is as slow as the MRT before (actually it is with MRT).
    So you may only compare with the detection rates but normally it is difficult for users to determine.(as on different machines (different configs) & different OS will be having different results)

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Stirwpgp View Post
    Hello kind people!
    I have been using Norton Security Suite which I get free thru Comcast and
    i'm wondering how it compares to the free MSE security as far as system
    resource utilization or which one would be better for this old gamer as my
    new pc will be here soon and I don't want it bogged down with a resource hog.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Stirwpgp, I see these sorts of antivirus program questions posted all the time and what I tell people is to use what you are comfortable using. There are no perfect antivirus or internet security solutions, if there were everyone would be using it, hence these sort of questions. No antivirus or internet security solution catches everything, what one misses another will catch and visa versa.

I have used both Norton and MSE and both have their pros and cons. But for all of you who still claim that Norton is a resource hog, you are wrong, the past few years the newer versions are very light and take up hardly any system resources, those claiming this are probably using older systems with under 2 gigs of ram with thier system trays loaded down with tons of other apps that are draining thier systems so it makes it easy to blame Norton. Since you noted that your new machine is a gaming machine it should be loaded with ram (6 gigs or more), so a little resource given to an antivirus or internet security suite should not be a problem at all and you can still game comfortably.

I will tell you this though, until recently I had been using MSE untill I got the "Blue Flare" virus that MSE just let right on through without any warning, notice or anything to me the user, the virus was more of a nusiance than anything and took about 30 minutes to eradicate but once I did get rid of it the first thing I did was to uninstall MSE. I am now using Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 which works great.

With a little research you can make an educated decision, if you choose to go the "free" route just remember, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by edee; 11th October 2011 at 21:09.

nickfrost is offline New Member

I am using Norton from a long time and it is doing good.
    I have never try to MSE.So i am going to check it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast