Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Corrine

Thread: Windows 7 firewall settings - problem updating Java

Tanya is offline New Member

Default Windows 7 firewall settings - problem updating Java

I don't know if i've posted this in the right place, but i really need some advice on windows firewall 7,
    my comp isn't very old, and i'm a complete newbie when it comes to this new system, all i knew was XP!

Since i don't have a complete internet security suite anymore i've pondered on my inbound and outbound exceptions, which is why i need some advice!
    Since i can't figure out how to post screen shots of those exceptions, and there so many to list, i'm not sure if anyone can help me!
    They are all to do with core networking :/
    the outbound exceptions are all to do with core networking too but they go out to any remote address and using any port! surely this isn't right?

I have restored default settings to my firewall and now i'm having a problem updating Java :/

I've googled lots of things to get clued up on it all but most things i read left me even more confused!
    I was told that there was no need to have any inbound or outbound exceptions but others have said thats completely untrue!

I just want to know if i'm safe online, and any advice would be greatly appreciated, ty

Tanya

imtovec is offline New Member

Try using microsoft security essentiel+comodo firewall =this software is free to use and very effective to control firewall activity in your window 7 effective the prevent malicious virus from spreading in your machine .

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

Tanya: its difficult to understand the problem without seeing any screenshots, so try to take some...

to make screenshots:
    1. press the "PrintScreen-button"
    2. open the program "Paint" (type "Paint" in the small window above the "Start-button")
    3. in "Paint", click on "Paste" in the upper left corner
    4. click on the scrolldown-menu right above "Paste", select "Save as", select picture-format (png, bmp, jpeg, gif)

imtovec: you are right about using another firewall than windows firewall, however that doesnt answer Tanyas question.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

You may not be able to post links. So you could post the screenshot links without the http/www. I or some Mod will edit it later on. :0

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    hi !

Tanya: its difficult to understand the problem without seeing any screenshots, so try to take some...

to make screenshots:
    1. press the "PrintScreen-button"
    2. open the program "Paint" (type "Paint" in the small window above the "Start-button")
    3. in "Paint", click on "Paste" in the upper left corner
    4. click on the scrolldown-menu right above "Paste", select "Save as", select picture-format (png, bmp, jpeg, gif)
    Why not just use the built in Snipping Tool, included with Windows Vista and Windows 7?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, Tanya. Welcome to The Windows Club!

I have found that the default settings for both the Windows Vista and Windows 7 firewall work well for my purposes.

As to updating Java, the best way is the offline installer. First make sure that you have uninstalled all outdated, vulnerable versions of Java. Following that, I recommend JavaRa to remove the remnants.

Download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.

• Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program. (Windows Vista & Windows 7 users Right-click JavaRa.exe > Select Run as Administrator)
    • Click on Remove Older Versions to remove older versions of Java.
    • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location.

Then download and install Java SE Runtime Environment 6u26.

Note: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software options presented with the update. They are not part of the software update and are completely optional.

If you are still unable to update Java, note any error messages.
    LeeW and HappyAndyK like this.

Thanks for the heads up HappyAndy!

and ty Corrine, i've just downloaded JavaRa, going to give this method a try now and i'll let you know!
    Thank you to everyone else for you're imput too, is appreciated.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

Corrine: well, why not ?
    the only thing is, ive never heard about it before...
    i got the tip about "PrintScreen & Paint" a long time ago so ive used that.
    anyway, i just checked the link you posted: "Snipping Tool is available only in the Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions of Windows 7."

that might be a reason (not being able) to use it...
    for others i mean, im running Enterprise myself...
    anyway, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    and ty Corrine, i've just downloaded JavaRa, going to give this method a try now and i'll let you know!
    You're welcome, Tanya. Please do let us know how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    hi !

Corrine: well, why not ?
    the only thing is, ive never heard about it before...
    i got the tip about "PrintScreen & Paint" a long time ago so ive used that.
    anyway, i just checked the link you posted: "Snipping Tool is available only in the Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions of Windows 7."

that might be a reason (not being able) to use it...
    for others i mean, im running Enterprise myself...
    anyway, thanks for the tip.
    That means Snipping Tool is available to everyone except Starter Edition. It is a nice feature, including the ability to "snip" part of a window, highlight, use the pen (I've used the wide chisel point in black to block out personal data).

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    Corrine: Excellent answer. Java has an issue with updating and the best option is always manually do it yourself.

Hackerman: LOL, I have never used the Snipping Tool either. Printscreen+Paint for so long I am used to it.
    Thanks, L.W.

Now you've both heard of the Snipping Tool. See the quick & dirty sample of what can be done with it. Click to see full size: SnippingTool.JPG

Sorry for the delay...Just wanted to let you know that it worked so thank you Corrine.
    Have left my firewall alone, after i restored it to defaults i have not messed with it! best way i think too.
    Thanking you all for everything.

You are most welcome, Tanya! Thank you for letting us know that all is well.