DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows Firewall Notifier 1.0 - Extend Windows 7 firewall behavior

japp is offline Gold Member

Default Windows Firewall Notifier 1.0 - Extend Windows 7 firewall behavior

Windows Firewall Notifier extends the default Windows embedded firewall behavior, allowing to handle outgoing connections.

This application is provided "as is". Use at your own risk.
    Since I do not want you to panic: the only thing that could happen is that you lose your Internet connection (for instance if "something" prevents Windows Firewall Notifier to be launched properly while all outgoing connection have been blocked as required). In that case, you will be able to restore the previous settings by launching the Windows Firewall Notifier again (it will then "uninstall"). You can also go to the control panel / administration tools / advanced firewall settings to enable back all outgoing connections.
    This application only uses existing Windows features, enabling some of them when first launched:
    1. Enables the Windows embedded firewall
    2. Sets the firewall to block both inbound and outbound connections for which no rule exists
    3. Enables the default Windows firewall inbound connection notification
    4. Enables the Windows firewall outbound connections logging (disabled by default)
    5. Creates a scheduled task linked to the Windows firewall event log entries, allowing Windows Firewall Notifier to be launched when needed only
    6. Installation

The application can be unzipped in the folder of your choice (usually c:\Programs\WindowsFirewallNotifier), knowing that it must not be moved once activated (unless you actually want to remove it).

How-to:

Once enabled (after a first launch), the application will show a notification balloon when an application attempts an outgoing connexion while not being allowed to do so. A click on the notification will display a dialog box, allowing the user to:
    • temporary allow the application
    • create a rule for the application, so that it will always be able to connect
    • block the application once only, after what other notifications may (will) appear
    • always block the application (no notification will therefore be displayed afterwards)

A documentation may be available later.

DOWNLOAD.

WoKhan

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Looks like a new app! Thanks for posting.

Might also want to check out Windows Firewall Control.

I will, HappyAndyK.

I wasn't aware of any options to block outgoing in WF, only inbound traffic.
    I'm wondering if I shall ditch Comodo Firewall and use WF instead. Want the option to block outgoing traffic.

thebomba is offline New Member

High security in the Windows 7

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    I will, HappyAndyK.

I wasn't aware of any options to block outgoing in WF, only inbound traffic.
    I'm wondering if I shall ditch Comodo Firewall and use WF instead. Want the option to block outgoing traffic.
    no, keep Comodo, better security...

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    no, keep Comodo, better security...
    I'd like to know based on what?

Still hanging onto Comodo

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    I'd like to know based on what?

Still hanging onto Comodo
    There is no HIPS in Windows Firewall....