DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Browser Links always redirected to other sites

Tantalid is offline Beginner

Default Browser Links always redirected to other sites

Hello once again folks.....

A few days ago, this problem started.
    Every time I do a search, makes no diff whether it's with Google, Bing, Webcrawler or whatever. The links I end up with are always redirected to some site having virtually nothing to do with my intent. I have tried more than a few AV/Anti-Malware programs to try to get this resolved with no help. I have tried uninstalling the browser (Firefox 5.01), and reinstalling same. I have tried other browsers with the same results.

PLEASE get me through this one... Lol... I really do not want to re-install Win 7 if I can work around it.... I can do this if necessary, but who really wants to if they don't have to....

Anyway, thanks alot, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tantalid is offline Beginner

Default .... Redirected links...... (cont.)

I definitely don't make it a habit to respond to my own posts BUT........I just found something out....

When I do a search and click on a link the link does not take me where it says it will being re-directed, but, if I place my cursor back in the address bar at the end of the address line and hit enter, it DOES go to the intended link. Also, after clicking on a link, If I keep an eye down to the lower left of the browser watching the addresses go by, one is like www.100ksearches.com, or several IP addresses will blitz on by as well.... Does the same with FF 5.01, and Google Chrome.... but I haven't tried IExplorer... I will now.... AND... the results are in...... it does the same thing to IE...

ANYWAY.... Thanks again guys...
    Last edited by Tantalid; 28th July 2011 at 07:51. Reason: To add info about IExplorer....

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

It's an Malware infection I found this happening to lot of users posted in a Security forum. Our resident Malware Expert Corrine might be able to help you in removing them.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Try this:

Create system restore point first.
    Reset IE settings.
    Uninstall all your other browsers.
    Use CCleaner to clean residual registry and PC junk.
    Reset DNS cache.
    Also check you your Hosts file situated at: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc, in Notepad. Reset Hosts file to defaults if required.
    Restart.
    Full scan your PC with your security software again.

Now see if it has helped. If you wish to go-back, you can always use the created system restore point.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Sorry, for the delay in responding. I've been tied up with family visitors from out of town and my time is limited.

Tantalid, I agree with L.W's recommendation to run TDSSKiller. Please do the following:

Please download the TDSSKiller.exe by Kaspersky... save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
    • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
      Vista - W7 users: Right-click and select "Run As Administrator".
      If TDSSKiller does not run... rename it. Right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. ektfhtw.com).
      If you don't see file extensions, please see: How to change the file extension.
    • Click the Start Scan button. Do not use the computer during the scan!
    • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
    • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the "Scan results - Select action for found objects" and offer 3 options.
      • Ensure Cure (default) is selected... then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
    • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_dd.mm.yyyy_hh.mm.ss_log.txt will be created and saved to the root directory. (usually Local Disk C.
    • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Following that, I recommend scanning with MBAM. Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, be sure Quick scan is selected, then click Scan.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, EXCEPT items in System Restore as shown in this sample:
    • Click Remove Selected.
    • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See the Note below)
    • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    • Please post contents of that file in your next reply.

** Note **

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.