Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Corrine

Thread: Microsoft Update Impacts WinPatrol Cookie Monitoring

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Default Microsoft Update Impacts WinPatrol Cookie Monitoring

WinPatrol fans who monitor cookies in Internet Explorer will discover after installing the latest Microsoft security updates that cookies do not display as expected in WinPatrol.

Instead of seeing the expected site or cookie name displayed, cookies are identified as alpha-numeric.txt files (i.e., HILD912G.txt).

In testing, I intentionally started installing the security updates one-by-one, selecting Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-057 - Critical: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (2559049) first since it applies to all three operating systems and browsers. Indeed, following a restart, I was able to confirm the change in cookie display for IE9 on Windows 7.

Based on feedback from WinPatrol users, this issue has been confirmed in Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 with IE8 and IE9. (IE6 and IE7 have not been tested but will likely be impacted the same since the update applies to all versions of Internet Explorer.)

MS11-057 is a critical security update and it is strongly advised that it be installed. Cookies are a minor issue compared to the fix in this update, which, as described in the MSRC Blog:

"resolves five privately reported vulnerabilities and two publicly disclosed vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. The most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted webpage using Internet Explorer."
    Bill Pytlovany has been advised of the situation and is actively working on a solution.
    japp likes this.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Well, hope it gets resolved soon.

In the realm of things, cookies are of minor concern. I certainly hope no one holds off installing the critical update due to this minor issue. I suspect that the only reason Bill retains cookie management in WinPatrol is because long-time WinPatrol users still manage cookies that way.

Via Twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/WinPatrol/sta...08459940990980

Bill is expecting to release an update by this weekend.

Draft screen shot:

Discussion on a feature request for managing WinPatrol cookies. Included is information from the developer, Bill Pytlovany, and information regarding the delay in releasing the update. Feature Request for View Cookies

(Also see Bill's latest offer: Bits from Bill: WinPatrol PLUS available for $9.99 while CNET Annoys Users).

So now if one has to download WinPatrol from download.com, one has to first download their download manager and then it downloads the software, am I correct?

These download managers from download sites are a pain. I think even softonic.com has that. Too bad download.com has introduced it. Thats why I like majorgeeks.com and softpedia.com among others.

That's what I understand. As far as I'm concerned, I always prefer the vendor site over any of those you mentioned.

^ I agree, thats always my first choice too.