Thread: Avira AntiVir installs the ASK Toolbar

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default Avira AntiVir installs the ASK Toolbar

Looks like Avira AntiVir the free antivirus software for Windows ahs also gone over to the dark side. It installs the Ask Toolbar, although it calls it the Avira Toolbar.

Donna's Security Flash

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

that´s too bad...
    but on the other hand, who wants to use Avira ?
    Avira has dropped down several "lines" on the performance-list the last few years.
    there are other FREE Antivirus-programs available that are much better, fx. Avast.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

That's old news from June. Posted here: Avira & Uniblue Advertisements. (Some interesting comments on my blog post at Avira AntiVir Adds Ask Toolbar and Scareware PopUp.)

(OT: I hope Donna is ok. She hasn't been around for many months.)
    Last edited by Corrine; 7th September 2011 at 14:16.

^ LOL I had forgotten all about that post

Just curious, any idea how much Ask.com guys pay to install their toolbars? Roughly??

Corrine is offline Gold Member

You may recall that Bill Pytlovany wrote about the offer IAC made in 2008:
    I crunched the numbers and sure enough the revenue I could receive by including the toolbar would be huge. My overhead is low and the free version of WinPatrol has many thousand downloads even on the slowest day. If I chose to include the Ask.com tool bar I could probably retire comfortably by the end of the year.
    This is also from 2008, Bundling Software:

The amount of money you make depends on which company’s product(s) you bundle, how much you are paid per install or as rev share, how many installs you receive of your own product, the geographic breakdown of your installs, retention of the 3rd party bundled product among your users and how often your users use the bundled product if it requires usage, etc. For those bundle opportunities that pay you on a revenue share basis, you can expect to be paid 35-75% of the revenue earned, depending on the company you’re working with. Examples of companies that at times pay on a revshare include Google, Yahoo, Ask, Conduit, and Visicom.
    The article suggests it was easily possible to average $300/day for 1,000 downloads in 2008, with installation in some vendors paying as much as $2.00 for a U.S. install while others as little as $.25/U.S. install. With WinPatrol getting many thousands of downloads per day, imagine how many downloads per day Avira gets. A quick look at the list of vendors listed in the Installers Hall of Shame will give you an idea of how many products included pre-checked add-ons.

Thanks for this bit, Corrine! Ask.com is pretty aggressive in this field!