Thread: Spybot Search & Destroy

cyberpunk is offline New Member

Default Spybot Search & Destroy

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I joined because I have a question regarding antispyware. Do you guys think that Defender is enough? I run the following:

1. Ccleaner
    2. WindowsDefender
    3. Avira

But recently someone suggested that I try SpyBot Search & Destroy as another antispyware. And my question is, do we really need it when we have Windows Defender?

Last edited by cyberpunk; 4th November 2011 at 21:33.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunk View Post
    Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I joined because I have a question regarding antispyware. Do you guys think that Defender is enough? I run the following:

1. Ccleaner
    2. WindowsDefender
    3. Avira

But recently someone suggested that I try SpyBot Search & Destroy as another antispyware. And my question is, do we really need it when we have Windows Defender?
    You will get thousands of opinions on this.

I have found that 1 anti-spyware tool is sufficient but 1 will not make you 100% safe. In fact, you will never be 100% safe unless you never go online or install anything on your computer.

I do suggest that if you get into a situation where you need to clean spyware from your computer, that you use more than 1 tool. Spybot and Malwarebytes are two very good choices that I keep around for those times when I need to detect and remove spyware. I "clean-up" about 40 or 50 computers a year and the absolute first thing I do is run both of those tools.

I will also say that I have exclusively used Microsoft Security Essentials as protection on my computers for over two years and I have never been infected with ANYTHING and I am a heavy online user.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Hi, cyberpunk. Welcome to The Windows Club.

roraniel is correct in saying that the only way to be 100% safe is if you never connect to the Internet or install any software on your computer.

I agree that Malwarebytes Antimalware is an excellent additional tool to have on hand and recommend it be updated and your computer scanned every week if you are a heavy surfer.

You may also want to install and update SpywareBlaster to prevent the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software: SpywareBlaster® | Prevent spyware and malware. Free download.

My favorite security software is WinPatrol which includes the features described at WinPatrol Features

You also need to stay current with security updates and have a working software firewall. Security software alone will not protect your computer. It is also necessary to keep third-party programs, such as Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player and Java (JRE) updated. Having a firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware software are not enough.

To check if your system is missing security updates or has insecure applications, install Secunia Personal Software Inspector or, alternatively, visit Secunia - The Leading Provider of Vulnerability Management and Vulnerability Intelligence Solutions . The Secunia Software Inspector runs through your browser with no installation or download required and does the following:
    • Detects insecure versions of applications installed
    • Verifies that all Microsoft patches are applied
    • Assists you in updating your system and applications