Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Unchangeable blue desktop background?

jevsterali is offline New Member

Default Unchangeable blue desktop background?

First I would like to point out, to prevent confusion with another common problem, I don't have the blue squares behind my desktop icons, the entire desktop is blue.

I've had this problem for months, and I've searched multiple times for a fix, none of them have worked. I don't know exactly when it happened, or what caused it, but my desktop background is blue, and I cannot change it. In the properties menu, my selected background still displays, but doesn't show up. I can change the solid color of the background, but that's it. Active desktop is turned off, I'm not running Windows 7, I have looked through the registry and tinkering with that doesn't help, I frequently run scans to find and eliminate spyware, and I am running virus protection, but this problem began before it was active.

Ending the explorer.exe process will make the background show up, but obviously I can't really do anything without that running. One temporary fix is to change from the modified theme to a default theme, then selecting a new custom desktop background, but after an unknown period of time, or an unknown trigger, the desktop reverts to being blue.

It's really bothering me that such a simple problem is proving so hard to solve, and if you have any advice for me, while considering the rest of my post, then please speak up.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Hi, jevsterali. Welcome to The Windows Club.

Since you indicated that the problem began before your antivirus software was active, I suggest starting with an online scan. Please go here to run an on-line scan from ESET.
    • Note: It is easiest if you use Internet explorer for this scan. (If you use an alternate browser, it will be necessary to download the ESET Smart Installer)
    • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
    • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
    • Click Start
    • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
    • Click Start
    • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
    • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
    • Click Scan
    • Wait for the scan to finish
    • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\Eset\Eset Online Scanner\log.txt
    • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic and also let me know how things are now.

Additionally, to determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
    • At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow (note the space before the forward slash)
    • When the scan is complete, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved.