Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Corrine

Thread: Attention: Symantec PC-Anywhere Users

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Default Attention: Symantec PC-Anywhere Users

Two weeks ago, it was announced that Symantecís Norton AntiVirus source code exposed by hackers.

Originally, it was reported that it was code for older Enterprise products, not the versions used for consumers. In addition, it was claimed that it was a third party and not Symantec's network that was breached.

Since then, it was discovered that Symantec's network was compromised. Following that discovery, it was learned that the secret source code for pcAnywhere, a widely used brand of remote control software was also leaked.

Finally, today, Symantec tells customers to disable pcAnywhere.

Symantec Corp took the rare step of advising customers to stop using one of its products, saying its pcAnywhere software for accessing remote PCs is at increased risk of getting hacked after blueprints of that software were stolen.
    LeeW and Elmer B. like this.

cofly is offline New Member

So what exactly does "compromised" actually mean? I used to use PCanywhere some time ago..it was a little bit slow..And btw in the meantime I think Symatec announced that it is once again safe to use it.
    Anyway, speaking of PCanywhere, there is this buzz going on recently about this Audials Anywhere thing that's apparently related to file sharing but I wasn't able to find out too much about it. It reminded me about PCanywhere though, because of the name I guess. Anyone know anything about it? I'd be curious to know more.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

In this case, compromised means that the Symantec site was hacked and they stole the source code. Symantec released a patch for pcAnywhere 12.0 and pcAnywhere 12.1. (Hotfix Details: pcAnywhere Security Recommendations) Audials Anywhere is not related. It is a media software program.

cofly is offline New Member

Thank you Corrine for the clarification.
    In the meantime I also managed to figure out this Audials soft. It's a new release called Audials Light which works like p2p file sharing. Basically, you can connect to another person's computer and share music and videos, copy files from eachother etc. like a personal media cloud in a way. I think it's pretty cool, I already installed it myself. But anyway, I am a bit offtopic.
    Last edited by cofly; 8th March 2012 at 10:39.