Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Understanding Microsoft Anti-Malware Software (2012)

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Default Understanding Microsoft Anti-Malware Software (2012)

Now that Windows Defender Offline has RTM'd and changes in nomenclature, I updated the popular "Understanding Microsoft Anti-Malware Software" to add additional Q&A's and reflect the changes since last year.

Understanding Microsoft Anti-Malware Software 2012

Apologies for the link but it is much too long for posting here.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes, I did read your post yesterday - and it sure is a must-read. Learned something new there ....

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    Now that Windows Defender Offline has RTM'd and changes in nomenclature, I updated the popular "Understanding Microsoft Anti-Malware Software" to add additional Q&A's and reflect the changes since last year.

Understanding Microsoft Anti-Malware Software 2012

Apologies for the link but it is much too long for posting here.
    Hi !

Thanks for the information, itīs useful.
    But, there is a something missing regarding Forefront which makes it a bit confusing.
    You should add Forefront Endpoint Protection (FEP) to the list of Forefront products.
    And since you are talking about alternative to MSE, you should add " Endpoint Protection" in the text,
    there is also a small typo, "...[B]is[B] is against....

I suggest you change it to: "If your business has more than 10 PCs and, therefore, it is against the license terms to use MSE, consider Forefront Endpoint Protection".

Hi, hackerman1.

Thanks, I fixed the typo.

Forefront Endpoint Protection is now Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection. (Note search results for Forefront Endpoint Protection redirect to System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection.)

Hi, hackerman1.

Thanks, I fixed the typo.
    youīre welcome.

Forefront Endpoint Protection is now Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection. (Note search results for Forefront Endpoint Protection redirect to System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection.)
    Yes, i know that the next version of FEP will be named System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (SCEP).
    I downloaded SCEP-RC to use it on W8 as i wanted a more "normal" antivirus-program instead of the new Defender.
    Iīve been using SCEP-RC on WS2008-R2 since 2 days after i installed W8-CP, i decided to try the next version, so i replaced FEP....
    And now when i check the link you posted, it seems that SCEP has been officially released, so thanks for the info.
    I havenīt seen any weird problems with SCEP at all, itīs been working perfectly, also together with MBAM-Pro.

But, as i alredy posted above: since you are talking about alternative to MSE, now that FEP has neen renamed you should add " System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection" in both the list and the text.
    I suggest you now change it to: "If your business has more than 10 PCs and, therefore, it is against the license terms to use MSE, consider System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection".

That makes sense. I added it to the MSE section.

What is confusing is that there are still Microsoft Forefront options available . It is only Forefront Endpoint Protection that was renamed to System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection.

Adding to the confusion is that the the MMPC Portal still references Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 (Install the latest Microsoft Forefront Security definition updates - Get the latest definitions - Microsoft Malware Protection Center). It should read Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection, perhaps including formerly Forefront Endpoint Protection.

That makes sense. I added it to the MSE section.

What is confusing is that there are still Microsoft Forefront options available . It is only Forefront Endpoint Protection that was renamed to System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection.

Adding to the confusion is that the the MMPC Portal still references Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 (Install the latest Microsoft Forefront Security definition updates - Get the latest definitions - Microsoft Malware Protection Center). It should read Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection, perhaps including formerly Forefront Endpoint Protection.
    Maybe SCEP was released very recently ?
    I actually checked the SCEP-webpage just a few days ago, then it was still RC.
    So perhaps MS havenīt had the time to update all related pages yet ?

Tanmay is offline Windows Enthusiast

Excellent Sharing! Thanks for such valuable information!

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Thank you Corrine. It is not easy to keep up with the various MS offerings and your posting really helps to unravel that.

One question that remains in my mind: Since they worked MSE into the base offering of Windows 8, what does one have to do if you want to use another AV program. Does the normal MSE uninstaller work?

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Thank you Corrine. It is not easy to keep up with the various MS offerings and your posting really helps to unravel that.

One question that remains in my mind: Since they worked MSE into the base offering of Windows 8, what does one have to do if you want to use another AV program. Does the normal MSE uninstaller work?
    If i remember correctly, you just turn off Defender in W8, and then installl something else.
    Iīm not using W8 right now so i canīt check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast