Thread: Microsoft Security and Emisisoft Malware together

acme is offline Beginner

Default Microsoft Security and Emisisoft Malware together

Hi,

Can Microsoft Security Essentials and Emisisoft Anti Malware run 'real time' together?

Thanks

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Hi !

Oh YES !
    I have used them together for years...
    But for optimum performance itīs recommended to use "mutual exclusions" (tell both programs to ignore each other).
    Although iīve used them together without exclusions (for years) and i havenīt had any problems at all.

Emsisoft AntiMalware (EAM) is (almost) unique because it can be used together with other AntiMalware-programs.
    MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) is the other (unique).

Avast and MSE can also be used together, because Avast v5 was designed to be able to run together with MSE.
    I have used all 3 together on W7-64: EAM, MSE and Avast.
    Those are the only "coexisting" AntiMalware-programs that i know about.

Exclusions
    :

EAM:

FOLDERS:

C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT SECURITY CLIENT
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT SECURITY CLIENT

PROCESSES:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT SECURITY CLIENT\ANTIMALWARE\MPCMDRUN.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT SECURITY CLIENT\ANTIMALWARE\MSMPENG.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT SECURITY CLIENT\ANTIMALWARE\NISSRV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT SECURITY CLIENT\MSSECES.EXE

MSE:

FOLDERS:

Your Emsisoft-folder, which usually is in C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMSISOFT...\

PROCESSES:

In your Emsisoft-folder, which usually is in C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMSISOFT...\

A2GUARD.EXE
    A2SERVICE.EXE
    A2START.EXE

A2CMD.EXE you might also want to include it if youīre going to use the commandline-version...

If you want to install EAM to a different partition / folder than the "default", then start a commandprompt (CMD.exe) and add: /DIR=path (to your folder)
    fx. my command-line is: Emsisoft AntiMalware.exe /DIR="E:\Program Fiiles\EAM\"
    Last edited by hackerman1; 25th April 2012 at 09:31.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Avast v5 was designed to be able to run together with MSE
    That may have been the case with version 5 but Avast is now on version 7. Keep in mind that using multiple engines simultaneously can result in conflicts that lead to performance issues, system instability, application failures and can hinder the effectiveness of both products. Merely excluding one from scanning the other program folder does not prevent both programs from simultaneously attempting to block the same process, resulting in conflicts and system instability.

Maywarebytes Anti-Malware is NOT an antivirus software program.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    That may have been the case with version 5 but Avast is now on version 7.
    Yes, and it can still be used together with MSE.
    I havenīt seen any information saying anything else, so it should work.
    The original information from Avast was something like: "starting with Avast v5, it is compatible with MSE...."
    Avast-forum is down right now so i canīt doublecheck....

Keep in mind that using multiple engines simultaneously can result in conflicts that lead to performance issues, system instability, application failures and can hinder the effectiveness of both products. Merely excluding one from scanning the other program folder does not prevent both programs from simultaneously attempting to block the same process, resulting in conflicts and system instability.
    Yes, thatīs exactly why you need to choose the "right" combination of Antimalwareprograms...
    And yes, it not enough to exclude folders, thatīs why i listed the neccesary processes to exclude....

Maywarebytes Anti-Malware is NOT an antivirus software program.
    Uh, did i say that it was ?
    I said AntiMalware-programs....

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post

Emsisoft AntiMalware (EAM) is (almost) unique because it can be used together with other AntiMalware-programs.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't run two AV's together (personal opinion). Not only for the performance issue, but for the case that they do cause system instability and other issues. It may be too much work for me to exclude certain folders and processes. MSE/EAM/Avast, etc. are all very good at stopping viruses, but none are 100%. I don't think you could gain 100% by stacking them, though. A good AV, plus regular scans with Malwarebytes and smart browsing (and downloading) can make your system very safe from infection.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinH View Post
    I wouldn't run two AV's together (personal opinion). Not only for the performance issue, but for the case that they do cause system instability and other issues.
    Yes, "normally" you can not run 2 A/Vīs together.
    But, as i posted above there are exceptions....

Quote Originally Posted by DustinH View Post
    It may be too much work for me to exclude certain folders and processes.
    It only takes a few minutes.

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Isn't Emsisoft an an antivirus program now that it has added Ikarus?

Hi !

from Emsisoft.com:
    "
    • Comprehensive PC protection against viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, worms, bots, keyloggers and rootkits.
    • 2 combined scanners for cleaning:
      Anti-Virus + Anti-Malware
    • 3 guards against new infections:
      file guard, behavior blocker and surf protection

"

"
    2 scanners to clean infections: Anti-Malware + Anti-Virus!

• Not just any scanners, but a combination of two world class products - the Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and the Ikarus Anti-Virus engine. Latest tests approve that both are cutting edge in Malware detection."

"The terms "anti-virus" and "anti-malware" which are used in a lot of protection software are, unfortunately, quite confusing. Some users are led to believe that anti-virus solutions are more effetctive than those that protect against malware, whereas the latter actually is the generic term. The matter is even more complicated as, nowadays, all common anti-virus software also protects against other kinds of malware. What's more: the term "anti-malware" is sometimes also used for software that offers no comprehensive protection against all kinds of threats, but merely specializes on one category or on persistent malware.

Everyone knows about viruses, and almost everyone is familiar with trojans, spyware or adware. But what about rootkits, ransomware and rogues? In the following you will be given a short introduction to different kinds of malware."