Thread: Avira Antivirus update cripples millions of Windows PCs !

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default Avira Antivirus update cripples millions of Windows PCs !

Hi !

I found this on ZDNET:
    "
    Avira Antivirus update cripples millions of Windows PCs

By Emil Protalinski | May 15, 2012, 8:55am PDT
    Summary: Avira has sent out a defective antivirus update that is causing paid versions of its product to block critical Windows processes and third-party software, effectively rendering millions of PCs unusable.
    German security company Avira is experiencing serious technical difficulties. A defective antivirus update that has been downloaded millions of times is bringing Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 computers to a screeching halt across the world, according to user reports.

The update bumps the software version to 8.2.10.64 and the definitions file to 7.11.30.24. The result is that the AntiVirProActiv component starts detecting critical processes as malware, including the following:

• \windows\system32\dllhost.exe
    • \windows\system32\explorer.exe
    • \windows\system32\iexplorer.exe
    • \windows\system32\notepad.exe
    • \windows\system32\regedit.exe
    • \windows\system32\rundll32.exe
    • \windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    • \windows\system32\wuauclt.exe

Those are just some of the false detected Windows processes. Avira sometimes kills them and stops Windows from booting, but that’s not the end of it.

The update is also blocking other Microsoft software (such as Microsoft Office and Microsoft Works) as well as various third-party applications, including Byki 4 Express, Documents To Go, Garmin, Google Talk, iPod and Palm services, Opera, OpenDNS Updater, Polipo, Shadow, Stickies, and many others. In other words, almost every executable file is being falsely detected by this update.

The good news is that the free edition (Avira AntiVir Personal) does not include ProActiv, so it is not affected.
    "
    read the full story here: Avira Antivirus update cripples millions of Windows PCs | ZDNet

I remember a few years ago, then it was McAfee that made the same thing...

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Ouch. I remember McAfee's snafu, too. I know a lot of people that use the free version of Avira, but there are a lot out there that use the paid version.

It's going to be a mess to clean up, and hopefully Avira can do it and save some face. I'm hoping they do the best they can and own responsibility and take care of everything, unlike a lot of companies that put the responsibility elsewhere ("It was because of a new Microsoft update..." "It was a virus that infected the machine that caused the update to act differently"....). We'll just have to see on that one.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I'll be getting a few phone calls "What do I do!?".

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

well, itīs yet another reason why you shouldnīt pay for your antimalware-program....