Thread: Win 10 UAC Settings

Read&Share is offline New Member

Default Win 10 UAC Settings

I would like to know if these two different Win 10 UAC scenarios are functionally equivalent in terms of security provided, and would appreciate your insights.

First of all, I am the only user of my password-protected Win 10 laptop. I am also pretty careful about not clicking email links or downloading from unknown websites. Now, the two scenarios:

1. I currently sign in as a standard user, with UAC set to default (always notify me...). When prompted to enter admin credentials, and after determining legitimacy, I simply enter the administrator's password (which only I know).

2. I am thinking about just signing in as administrator from now on, with UAC set to default (always notify me...). I am thinking the security provided will still be the same because all apps and processes start off with only standard privilege anyway -- and if elevation is necessary, the only difference is Windows' prompting for my consent instead of for my credentials (as in #1 above) -- but it will still be me approving or not.

Am I correct in my assumption that the two scenarios are essentially equivalent since I am the sole user anyway?

Read&Share is offline New Member

Anyone? HappyAndyK - your insights, please?