Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By achz

Thread: Win 10 UAC Settings

Read&Share is offline New Member

Default Win 10 UAC Settings

I would like to know if these two different Win 10 UAC scenarios are functionally equivalent in terms of security provided, and would appreciate your insights.

First of all, I am the only user of my password-protected Win 10 laptop. I am also pretty careful about not clicking email links or downloading from unknown websites. Now, the two scenarios:

1. I currently sign in as a standard user, with UAC set to default (always notify me...). When prompted to enter admin credentials, and after determining legitimacy, I simply enter the administrator's password (which only I know).

2. I am thinking about just signing in as administrator from now on, with UAC set to default (always notify me...). I am thinking the security provided will still be the same because all apps and processes start off with only standard privilege anyway -- and if elevation is necessary, the only difference is Windows' prompting for my consent instead of for my credentials (as in #1 above) -- but it will still be me approving or not.

Am I correct in my assumption that the two scenarios are essentially equivalent since I am the sole user anyway?

Read&Share is offline New Member

Anyone? HappyAndyK - your insights, please?

achz is offline Beginner

Hi Read&Share,

Am I correct in my assumption that the two scenarios are essentially equivalent since I am the sole user anyway?
    Yes, you are essentially correct, however, there are some drawbacks. I would discourage you from logging in as Administrator unless you have a specific need to do so.

By logging in with an Administrator account, things like Web browsers and command prompts will likely open up with Administrator privileges by default.

Given that you intend to have UAC set to its highest settings anyway, may I ask what benefit you see in logging in as an Administrator, as opposed to a Standard User in Windows 10 and just approving the UAC prompts when needed? Not clear on what you're trying to achieve here.

Regards, Andrew
    HappyAndyK likes this.