DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Speedup Windows XP & Vista Boot

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Thumbs up How To Speedup Windows XP & Vista Boot

You must read this guide, provided you are a Windows user. Though there are thousands of articles available, what sets this apart from the crowd is this is specially written by tweakwindows!. This guide will show you how to decrease the boot time of Windows to 10seconds. Let's start with the basics first.

1.Go to fonts folder. To open fonts folder, just type "fonts" in the Vista Start Menu or in Run dialog box.

2.Delete useless fonts that you won't use. For those who don't know, Windows takes enough amount of time to load all fonts during the boot process. Installing more than 100 fonts will significantly reduce your system boot speed.

3.Next major time killers are startup programs.These startup programs not only increases the boot time but also frustrates with pop ups in your system tray. Open "System Configuration" by typing "msconfig"(without quotes) in the Vista Start Menu Search box or in the Run dialog box. Under the "Startup" tab remove the programs which are not necessary at startups(Ex:Pc Suite, Pc Sync, Realtek voice manager). However, I prefer no programs at startup.

4.Next switch to "Boot" tab and select "No GUI boot" and click "Apply" to save the changs. If Windows prompts for restart, select 'Exit without restart' option.

5.This tweak is only for Vista with multicore processors (Dual, quad and octa core processors). Under the "Boot" tab of "System Configuration", open the option named "Advanced options", check the box named "Number of processors" and select the number of processors you have.Click "Apply".

6.Navigate to "services" tab, remove unnecessary services (only if you are not using) like Parental Controls, Telephony, Remote registry, Fax, Ready boost to increase the boot speed.Remove unnecessary services only.

7.Download a free utility called "Bootvis" from here(works only for XP). Extract and unzip the file to Desktop and run the Bootvis.Go to Trace > Boottime+driver delays and reboot the system. Wait for a while to get further message and instruction from bootvis to proceed.Worst part is it doesn't work with Vista.

8.Use the boot defragmentation feature in Winows. To enable go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction In the right side pane, right click on the option "Enable" and select "Modify". Type in "Y' to enable boot defrgmentation.

9.Defrag your C drive using Vista's in-built tool. If you think the Vista's in-built defragger is slow, you can use the free Defraggler software from here.

10.Fix all your registry errors with a freeware tool called CCleaner. Keeping the registry clean will boost your system performance dramatically.

11.If you dual boot, select the default operating system to boot and also, lower the amount of time to wait for you make a selection.

12.If you are not using Floppy drive, disable it in the BIOS. If your BIOS supports Quick Post and Disabling Boot Delay, just enable those features.

13.One more boot time killer is Startup sound. You can disable this as follows:type "mmsys.cpl" in the run dialog box and hit enter. Navigate to "Sounds" tab and disable the option called "Play Windows Startup Sound"(only in Vista). In Xp, use the option named "No Sounds" from the drop down menu in the "Sounds" tab.

14.Never use third-party boot and logon screens as they slow down your boot process significantly.

15.Install latest updates for your operating systems from Microsoft website.
    Source

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Informative post thanks for sharing.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thanks for posting.

Not read in details but broadly speaking :

2. You cant just delete any fonts. What if they are system/critical fonts? 5. This tip is known to work for some and not for some. 6. Services have a lot of inter-dependencies and one has to be really careful while turning off any. 7. Bootvis may not work on Vista, but TuneXP does. 10. Cleaning Registry does not really speedup/boost performance. Using a safe one like CCleaner, say once a month, is just good house-keeping.

More at Make Vista Faster & Stay Away From Doubtful Vista Tweaks.

Thanks for the comment.Though you have mentioned you have not read thoroughly, I would like to clear all things
    2. You cant just delete any fonts. What if they are system/critical fonts?
    AFAIK Windows doesn't let you delete the fonts which are being used
    5. This tip is known to work for some and not for some.
    Agree with you.Even I haven't noticed much boost in boot speed.
    6. Services have a lot of inter-dependencies and one has to be really careful while turning off any.
    Already mentioned in the post
    7. Bootvis may not work on Vista, but TuneXP does
    Already mentioned in the post
    10. Cleaning Registry does not really speedup/boost performance. Using a safe one like CCleaner, say once a month, is just good house-keeping.
    Please read point no 10

davehc is offline Beginner

I'm afraid I would stand by Happy Andy. For starters, deleting fonts will not show any marked improvement in the start up time, which I believe is what the article is discussing. It could, to a very slight degree, give you a little more available memory.
    Cleaning the registry will certainly not improve the start up time. As Andy states, Ccleaner, and similar programs (I use Advanced Windows Care) are good house keeping. The Services issue is well covered on various pages. I have used the, now well known, pages here:
    Windows Vista SP1 Service Configurations by Black Viper
    I honestly believe they have improved the overall performance, but, again, have not noticed any speed up in the boot process.

Have a look here, another point of view, you may say, but all of these comments are echoed elsewhere.
    Mythbusting: Debunking Common Windows Performance Tweaking Myths

Not sure about Item 8. Mine is enabled as default?

Item 11 could be considered irrelevant, as improving the Vista boot time would surely be considered to start from that point? Ditto point 12.
    Tip 13. Well try it and time it.

I think we are stuck with the Vista startup time. One of the boasted features is that everything, after startup, is ready for use. To disable starup functions could negate this boast. Best advice is to live with it or find something to do for 95 seconds (That's mine, by the way)

I'm afraid I would stand by Happy Andy.
    No problem
    I don't like to comment on your first two points as I have already clarified in the above posts. To say about point no 11 and 12, everyone know that the boot time starts from
    that point theoretically. But, you are loosing some time by manually selecting the operating system in practical.
    something to do for 95 seconds (That's mine, by the way)
    To be honest, I think I don't need to comment on your posts as your post shows how well you have managed your system by not using any of the above methods
    All the best No offense

davehc is offline Beginner

No offense here either. I enjoy exploring other ideas. But I would challemge you on a 10 second boot time to a useable dektop (including, of course, loading the Anti-virus program and connecting). Relating to your above posting, which you would deem includes the initial bios loading etc, it takes my Asrock motherboard 6 seconds merely to get to the boot menu? 4 seconds to load Vista - I would proudly stand up and be counted on the absurdity of that.
    Last edited by davehc; 28th August 2008 at 09:50.

I can stick with 10 seconds promise without any networks..As I use dialup I can't say exactly on broadband and other users.My Intel DG33 board with C2D 2.2ghz processor loads the welcome screen in just 8 to 9 seconds...If I don't have password I can boot within seconds..And I am sure one can boot within 10 seconds with a decent rig..

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Lets say a font is critical (to maybe say, working of Office2007) but currently not in use, then wont Windows let me delete that font, buddy ? BTW, Tweak VI Pro is a good shareware to manage fonts. It uninstall's fonts without physically removing them. Open its Help file. It lists down the system fonts which must not be deleted ! Use the list; and then decide what to delete and what to keep.

Reg Services : For eg, many people disable Event Log Services thinking they dont need it. But Task Schedular service is dependent on it ! And if the Task Schedular service is not running, the most basic ... automatic System Restore points may not form .... so best to be really careful. As suggested above BlackVipers is a good guide, or a layman may just use Tune Up utilities for optimizing the services.

All are free to disagree with each other, as long as its done agreeably !

^Absolutely right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast