DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: How To Install & Run XP Inside Vista (Virtual XP)

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Thumbs up How To Install & Run XP Inside Vista (Virtual XP)

Install & Run XP Inside Vista (virtual XP)

Most of the desktops and laptops today come with Windows Vista preinstalled. While the Vista has new features, few users like me love to have Windows XP for some obvious reasons. Though you can dual boot Windows XP with Vista (Vista installed first), it's a good idea to use Virtual PC to install XP inside the already installed Vista. For those who don't know, Microsoft Virtual PC let's you run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same physical system. You can switch between two operating systems within seconds.

In this tutorial we will show you how to install Windows XP inside Windows Vista using Microsoft Virtual PC.
    Requirements:
    1. Windows XP CD
    2. Microsoft Virtual PC
    3. One hour free time

1. Download and install Virtual PC from here.
    2. Run the Virtual PC software. To do this, type Virtual PC in Vista Start menu search box and hit enter.
    3. Click on "New" option and click "Next" to continue.

4. Select "Create a virtual machine" option from the available three options. I prefer this option as this lets you customize as you like. Click "Next".(screenshot here)
    5. Here, type a name for the virtual machine file. The file is automatically saved to the My Virtual Machines folder. To save it to a different location, use the "Browse" button.
    6. Select the operating system you would like to install using Virtual PC from the drop down box.In this tutorial we choose XP, as we are going to install none other than XP. After selecting the operatingsystem, click "Next".

7. If you have more than 1GB RAM select "Adjusting the RAM" else select "Using the recommended RAM", select the amount of RAM you would like to allocate to run Virtual machine(XP) and click "Next". (by default, it will use 128MB of RAM,if you like to keep as it is, blindly click "Next")

8. In the next screen, select “A new virtual hard disk" and once again "click" button.
    9. In this step, browse the location where you want to create a virtual hard disk and specify a name for the virtual hard drive. Also don't forget to specify the size of the Virtual Hard Drive. I prefer at least 3GB.

10. Click on finish button.
    11. This will open a small window called "Virtual PC Console". Click on "Start" button to start the actual process.
    12. Insert your Windows XP CD the optical drive and hit enter when Virtual PC console prompts this window. Screen shot here (No need to restart your system. System will be restarted within the console.)

13. Install the XP inside the console with the default XP procedure that you know. Once you finished your installation you will see this Window.(screen shot here)

14. Now, you can install all the required software’s for your Windows XP.
    15. You can close the Virtual PC with a simple click on the "close"(top right) button.
    16. To open your Virtual XP once again, type "Virtual PC"(without quotes) in the Start menu and select the your Virtual XP from the box and click "Start".
    17. You are done!!
    18. Enjoy!!!
    source
    Last edited by tweakwindows; 30th August 2008 at 05:45.

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Nice guide and thanks for the effort to write down the process !!!! I would just add one thing that you would need to have or buy extra license for the guest OS, in this case which is Window XP !!!

thanks

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Great guide When I have to watermark my images, I prefer to put the mark down in one corner so that it doesnt obstruct the image matter

Actually I was in hurry at that time..Do you know any good free watermark tool?(I used Paint for this)

iMav is offline Gold Member

I had written a walk through on Virtual PC some time back:

A Look At Microsoft Virtual PC

And for water-marking images, the following might help you:

Blog Images Professionally

rkonit is offline Gold Member

gr8 job done by you....fully graphical guide for all !
    thanks

Thanks for your comment.
    @iMav
    I read your blog post about VSO image resizer..It was really useful..Thanks......

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tweakwindows View Post
    @iMav
    I read your blog post about VSO image resizer..It was really useful..Thanks......
    You're welcome. :P

Hari Maurya is offline Senior Member

Nice tutorial.....it will slow to use xp in Virtual PC...u must have above 1 Gb Ram...for perfect result