DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing Partition in Windows Vista

Hari Maurya is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Resizing Partition in Windows Vista

On previous Sunday I bought a brand new laptop....and what I found...it already had Vista installed and there were just 2 partitions created ( c:\ -> 139 gb , d:\ -> 9.66 gb )....lot of space was wasted in c:\ .

As Windows Vista has a nice function for 'Volume shrinking '.... I have created new partition
    ( E:\ -> 40gb ) from old one ( C:\ ) without any data loss.

Let see how you can do the same :

1. Open Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Computer Management

2. Then go for Disk Management under storage tag:

3. In the right side pane, you will see all your Partition, right click on your specific drive, which you want to resize, as I want to resize my c:\, I have selected c:\

4. Select " Shrink Volume " , then wait for some second as it will querying volume for available shrink space.

5. Now after this, choose your new partition size (or leave it default ), then click on Shrink.

6. In the right side pane, you are now able to see your new created partition : as shown in following image :

7. Now Right click on that newly created partition, and then click on " New Simple Volume " in order to make it active.

8. After that, New Volume creating Wizard will open, follow the wizard and select your proper option.

9. After completion of Wizard, your Newly created Partition will be ready to use.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Yup, this is a good feature in Vista. Also, as a suggestion, if you are going to shrink the Vista installation drive, disable System Restore & Hibernation, thereby you will be able to shrink the drive more.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice tut with plenty illustrations Thanks !

If ever you need to Resize A Partition In Vista, even if Disk Management fails, or If you get the message : There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation you can check this page for additional inputs.

Hari Maurya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Nice tut with plenty illustrations Thanks !

If ever you need to Resize A Partition In Vista, even if Disk Management fails, or If you get the message : There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation you can check this page for additional inputs.
    Thnx for the link .....

Lily is offline New Member

Usually, vista contains two partition s after you buy it. To know how to use the new function of disk partition in vista you may visit Resize Partition under Windows Operating System

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Easeus already covered here. Thanks for the addl link

shinyabcde is offline New Member

According to my experience of applying the software, maybe the professional edition will help you shrink Vista Partition with Partition Assistant.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Just a little word of warning. When you create new partitions, make sure that the 4th partition on a volume is created as an extended partition - not a primary partition. There is an allowed maximum of 4 primary partitions per volume and if you (accidently) create a 5th primary partition, all partitions will be changed to dynamic partitions and those are a real mess. That will, e.g. prevent you from booting the system.
    But if you make the 4th partition an extended partition, you can create many logical partitions under the extended partition (I think the maximum is 64 - not sure though).
    This is especially important with a preinstalled OEM Windows7 where the systems already come with 3 or 4 primary partitions out of the box.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

very nice n detailed article... keep it up. It works on Windows 7/Windows Server 2008R2

satyamy is offline Beginner

this is the problem with almost all laptops
    i bought Lenovo laptop with C-250gb, D-30gb & remaining was with reserved drive(lenovo has OneKey Recovery application for system recovery to factory setting)
    but the shrink method was almost useless bcoz C giving only 40gb more so now C = 210gb & D=70

i only solution i found is by formatting my laptop & loosing the OneKey Recovery feature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast