DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to log in to your Windows PC when you have forgotten your password

Mikey is offline Beginner

Default How to log in to your Windows PC when you have forgotten your password

Windows XP didn’t give you a way to conveniently log in if you had forgotten your password and required you to go search for third-party tools.

Fortunately, Vista allows you to easily create a “Password Reset” disk should you forget your login password. You can even use your iPod or USB memory disk as a computer key!

If you can do this on your own, just press Ctrl + Alt + Delete > Change a Password > Create a Password Reset Disk. Follow the step-by-step wizard and you’re all set.

If you want to follow this tutorial step-by-step, then create a Reset Disk following these steps instead.

1) Click on Start Pearl and type this in the Search bar: control.exe /name Microsoft.UserAccounts

or

Classic Control Panel View: Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
    Normal Control Panel View: Start > Control Panel > User and Family Safety > User Accounts

2) Click on Create a Password Reset Disk on the left panel.

3) Click next and you will be asked to choose where you want your password key disk saved. I recommend you choose a form of removable media such as a floppy or a USB disk.

4) Make sure the selected disk is still in the drive, then enter your current user account password.

5) Click Next and let Windows do its thing.

Once you create the password disk, any other password disks you’ve created in the past won’t work anymore. You must use the one you have just created. So what do you do when you actually have forgotten your password? When you log in, purposely get your password wrong and click OK when you get prompted for a wrong password. Then a new link will appear at the bottom that says Reset Password. Click that and follow the step-by-step wizard to reset your password. You should have no problem at all getting back into Vista.

You know you may be thinking: "now who would forget their own password for their computer?" Well, I did one time, but lucky enough for me I write everything down in a book so I had my password in there but I could not remember it for nothing. Just a word to the wise, you may have a brain fart one day and not be able to remember what your password is, or the next day and you will be out luck. So word to wise, this is quick easy and painless to do. So take the time make a password recovery disk on a stick. You will not regret it, I promise.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice-n-useful tip Thanks !

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Life saver Thank U!

Mikey is offline Beginner

You guys are most welcome!

Hari Maurya is offline Senior Member

Nice trick...thanks

JonPaulOnLine is offline Windows Enthusiast

Great
    Thanks

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Thanks Mickey!

Read a more detailed tutorial here | Create a password reset disk in Windows 7

iMav is offline Gold Member

If any ITPros out here who have access to either MSDN or TechNet can search for Desktop Optimization pack, burn a disc and boot with it, you can change any Windows password. Even the admin's. Download R2 for Windows 7.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Thanks imav, i'll download it tonite. Thanks for informing!

geeyes is offline Beginner

Nice tip. Never know when we need it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast