DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Improving the analysis of malware in Windows Vista !

borisz is offline Beginner

Lightbulb Improving the analysis of malware in Windows Vista !

Microsoft has built into Windows Vista, an antispyware software called Windows Defender. This automatically scans your hard drive in search of malware and unwanted software. By default, only a quick analysis is carried out every day. For added security, I recommend you to make the place a comprehensive analysis, a little slower, but more efficient.

1. Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.

2. Then click the heading Security.

3. Click the shortcut to Windows Defender.

4. In the window that opens, click the Tools menu, then Options.

5. Pull down the list type zone automatic analysis and choose the option (complete analysis).

6. Finally, click the Save button.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thanks borisz, but dont you think a quick analysis a day would suffice ... and maybe run the comprehensive analysis, every week or month maybe ? In case of an infection, a Defender pop-up will always be there to warn you

And the Malicious Software Removal Tool ? Post something about that too, pls, if posbl. Do you think, this 'post-infection removal tool' is really needed since most already have real-time AV's installed on their Windows?

Now that MS is dis-continuing paid OneCare and replacing it with freeware Moro, maybe we will see all being integrated.

borisz is offline Beginner

Exclamation

Well the decision in on end users, itís up to them to decide whether they want to use it regularly or not, I just tried to show some of windows vista users how they can make it more efficient, and by my opinion this is more efficient then quick analysis.

Regarding Malicious Software Removal Tool, well I will write my next article about differences between MSRT and Defender; and about your question does 'post-infection removal tool' is really needed since most already have real-time AV's installed on their Windows, well again the decision is up to end users, if they use Freeware antivirus tool and antivirus which is not updated on regular bases my recommendation would be to use Malicious Software Removal Tool, but to those who use antivirus like Norton, AVG Pro. or Kaspersky its really unnecessary. You also mentioned OneCare which is for me the worst antivirus EVER; and replacement with Moro will be great choice for Microsoft.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

True, thats what I felt. A user had Defender, he had MSRT and he had his AV, which now usually includes anti-spyware / anti-malware capabilities too, resulting in duplication. The paid OneCare did not 'work out' as MS would have wanted to, hence the decision to have a freeware 'Moro' ... this should avoid duplication, I guess.

MS is not planning to bundle Moro with OS, but would be available as a download; thus avoiding legal issues. Wonder how the AV co's will react now.