DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: How To Create and Install Theme Files in Windows 7.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Arrow How To Create and Install Theme Files in Windows 7.

This document discusses the format of Theme (.theme) files used in Windows 7 and Microsoft Windows XP. A .theme file is a .ini text file that is divided into sections, which specify visual elements that appear on a Windows desktop. Section names are wrapped in brackets ([]) in the .ini file.

Windows 7 supports new features including the Desktop Background Slideshow. Unrecognized sections of a .theme files are ignored by previous versions of the operating system. A new file format, .themepack, has also been introduced with Windows 7 to help users share themes.

Theme files have a number of required and optional sections. The document from Microsoft, describes the sections of .theme files and provide examples of how to specify changes for the different elements like themes, image, colors, sound, slide show, metrics, visual styles, etc.

A very useful must-read for themers !

Click : MSDN.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

It was informative never created a theme i am using win 7 on Vmware...

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Thanks Andy! Am on holiday for a week, but i have plans of making a few Windows 7 themes with a slideshow of wallpapers consisting of pics i have shot myself
    Without saying, WVC will get to experience them first

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Look forward to experiencing them

Doug_72 is offline Senior Member

But creating a basic theme is easy. customize your desktop the way you want it to be. click “save theme” on the Personalization page. choose the theme pack type in the drop down list. thats all, i am guessing.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Here is a much more readable method of creating a theme:

A theme pack is essentially a single compressed file containing one or more desktop background images, along with optional customizations for the Aero glass, sounds, screen saver, icons, cursors, etc. To create one, all you do is set your own desktop up with the appropriate choices, and then click the “Save theme” link on the Personalization page in Control Panel. (One important caveat: make sure you choose the “theme pack” type in the drop down list – otherwise it will save just the theme choices without the images themselves.)

dmudgal is offline Windows Enthusiast

nice and informative