DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Time for the Taskbar to move!

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Default Time for the Taskbar to move!

Let me start by how this idea or thought came to my mind. I was sitting in front of my cosine's 19" Widescreen LCD with a resolution of 1440 x 900 pixels!! On the other hand, i have a 17" CRT, with a resolution of 1280 x 1024. While working on his desktop, two things came to my mind. One of them shall be discussed or presented here. The other will be posted in a new topic.

At the first glance, what caught my attention was the "low height" of his desktop. Although his vertical resolution was only about 10% lesser than mine, I am so much accustomed to my resolution that his set up looked rather low heighted! Add to that Vista's Black Taskbar being there at the bottom of the screen from one side to the other. It really catches you attention!

While surfing the net on his computer, one thing started irritating me. The widescreen was not being utilized to its potential. On the other hand, a lot of screen space was being left unused and wasted in the horizontal frame. But in the vertical frame, there was clearly a shortage of screen space for browsing. Added to that the space being used by the taskbar. The setup simply did not seem logical to me!

After giving it a though, it dawned upon me that since the taskbar was introduced, it has always been placed at the bottom of the screen. During the Windows 95 times, the monitors were usually the square ones (or so i presume), and the taskbar came to be placed at the bottom of the screen. Although the sizes and orientation of the monitors have changed, but the role and placement of the taskbar hasn't changed (I know the taskbar undergoes a massive improvement in Windows 7, but the core is still the same, and so is the placement).

But is the placement of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen the best options / choice according to the current scenario? Although i don't have real figures, but i don't think i would be wrong in thinking that the majority of the laptops and monitors sold today are widescreen with 1280 x 800 being the minimum resolution. Keep in mind i am talking of the "sold today" screens only, not the screens used by majority of the users. But even the first time buyers in the emerging markets, who might still be using the 15" CRT monitors, are up for upgrades and are going for the widescreens.

So coming back to my though of the current placement of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen being not the best option, i changed the position of the taskbar from the bottom to the left hand side. My cousin protested, but i asked him to try and use it like this on a trial basis for a few days. With the taskbar at the side, it was no longer eating up the valuable vertical screen space, and also, out of focus for the most part allowing me to surf and do my work with a lesser need to scroll up and down.

I have also placed the taskbar on my computer to the left side and been using it like this for around 10 days. And i love it this way! Its much better than having it placed at the bottom. It takes getting used to, but according to me it is worth it.

I know many of you would have set the taskbar to auto-hide, but this article is aimed at the majority, for whom taskbar has always been at the bottom of the screen.

So go ahead, if you have not tried it this way till now, give it a go. Move you taskbar to the side of the screen and keep it that way for a week.

What do you guys think? Isn't it time for the taskbar to move....?

Last edited by alsiladka; 14th February 2009 at 21:20.

arvind_kumar is offline Senior Member

Ya right said... I too have my Taskbar on Top and also used taksbar to left and right when I bought my 19" LCD for few weeks. Currently taskbar is at top and I'm enjoying this change.

iMav is offline Gold Member

After using OS X & Ubuntu for quite some time, I never liked the program launcher on top. In OS X it was a bit ok to have it on th top as they have divided the dock, but now in 7 with the Superbar also having certain characteristics of the dock like IE showing progress of download, messenger icon being dynamic etc. I like the taskbar down. Just my opinion. THough I know a couple of friends who have the tasbar on top, I just find it a bit difficult to use, maybe I'm used to having it down.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Even I like the Taskbar at down itself. Having said that, I occasionally change it to the left for a change.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

An original tutorial. Most of us are so used to using the taskbar at its default lower position that we just take it for granted and adapt to it. It too use it at the default position. Our cursor usually hangs around at the right side of the screen and now that sidebar is out of the way ( I dont use it even in Vista), I will try out placing the taskbar on the RIGHT side and see how it feels.

Thanks for bringing this up

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I like the Vista toolbar on the bottom. Then you have the top available for your "private toolbar". Move all the shortcuts that sit on your desktop into a folder that you create on the dektop. Then push that folder all the way into the top (may require a few trials). That makes a toolbar as you see on the picture. Right click on this toolbar, and you can make all kinds of settings. You absolutely want "always on top" and "auto-hide". That will make that toolbar completely disappear, but when you move the cursor to the top, it appears - and that regardless in which window you currently are. So it takes no space on your screen but is always accessible - it's a win/win setting.

You can also set it to just show the icons - just clear the checkmark in front of "show text". Then the descriptor is displayed when you hover over it. In the picture I hovered over the first folder.

Last edited by whs; 15th February 2009 at 05:45.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

^ I used use it this feature on Vista and I used to have all my drives on that toolbar.. I can't see any options to get it in Windows 7...I really miss it..

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Moving it from the bottom to the top is not the point of this argument. The argument is for moving it to the sides to make use of the widescreen monitors! It's not an argument to move the taskbar just for a change, but for a productive and logical change.

Try moving it to the sides and use it like that for a week.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by alsiladka View Post
    Moving it from the bottom to the top is not the point of this argument. The argument is for moving it to the sides to make use of the widescreen monitors! It's not an argument to move the taskbar just for a change, but for a productive and logical change.

Try moving it to the sides and use it like that for a week.
    I am in agreement with you, top or bottom isn't going to make a difference to a widescreen monitor and what is the point of moving it for a change I clearly see the logical reasons for doing so on a wide screen, so thanks which I am sure those with a wide screen monitor like my son has will find it useful to do